Monday, May 30, 2022

The Promise of the Holy Spirit

Image from jesusisgod316.blogspot.com

Hear the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3NFSfeS See the podcast on YouTube: https://youtu.be/yKSND0_Ld6k

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. 15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14: 8-17, 25-27 New International Version Bible)

A most blessed and marvelous of Mondays to you, dear Friend, is my prayer for you. May our hearts continue to heal from the deep wounds of the slaughter of innocents, the ripping apart of famllies forever, and unepected deaths that have visited us; in Christ Jesus be healed, strengthened, and comforted. Pray that God would touch the hearts of the evil and sway them away from desired actions into more helpful thinking. Pray for yourselves. Pray for one another.

Remember the day when you could buy things in person at stores? You see kids, before the days of Amazon, moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas, would drive to places called stores and buy things. Well, one of the early mistakes I made as a dad buying for Christmas was failing to read on the box of the gift to see if that gift needed batteries. There is nothing more frustrating and agonizing for a toddler than to realize that the gift they have been dropping hints about since summer vacation will not work without batteries! And, in those days, kids, most, if not all, stores, were closed on Christmas Day and to buy needed batteries would not be until the 26th of December. Again, tell that to a crying child!

Jesus knew that His disciples could be compared to those things that need a battery to run, and He meant the coming and empowering of the Holy Spirit, Who would made complete their strength for their mission. And God knew the sending of the Holy Spirit was the logical next step. The disciples lacked for so much, showing that God uses the imperfect, who when they surrender themselves to Him, God can change and equip them. Please notice their request at the beginning of the passage; like us, never sure, sometimes doubting; "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus' response is like saying, if you kept your eyes and hearts open, you would see me all the time!" And it's true, the distractions of life many times keep us from truly seeing God at work in ours. So God sends His Spirit, Who serves as an Advocate (Speaks on our behalf), He will allow us to "do even greater things," than what the Disciples were doing. He allows us to speak truth, He will teach us all things, and, thank God, He will remind us of everything the Lord has shared; the Advocate will also bring peace. And the crowning part? With the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives, our hearts should not be troubled.

PRAYER: Come, Holy Spirit, into our lives. Renew us. Recharge us. Grant to us the fullness of life as promised by Your coming. Make us faithful and fruitful disciples that transform the world. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Show your heart's peace with those who seem to lack it.

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde