Thursday, June 16, 2022

I'm Thirsty for God!

Image from bethanyunitedchurch.ca

Hear the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3xUBoQl View on YouTube: https://youtu.be/3-hJOVxemtE

1 A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek; I want to drink God, deep draughts of God. 2 I'm thirsty for God-alive. I wonder, "Will I ever make it - arrive and drink in God's presence?" 3 I'm on a diet of tears - tears for breakfast, tears for supper. All day long people knock at my door, Pestering, "Where is this God of yours?" 4 These are the things I go over and over, emptying out the pockets of my life. I was always at the head of the worshiping crowd, right out in front, Leading them all, eager to arrive and worship, Shouting praises, singing thanksgiving - celebrating, all of us, God's feast! 5 Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God - soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God 6 When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you, From Jordan depths to Hermon heights, including Mount Mizar. 7 Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids. Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers crash and crush me. 8 Then God promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night! My life is God's prayer. 9 Sometimes I ask God, my rock-solid God, "Why did you let me down? Why am I walking around in tears, harassed by enemies?" 10 They're out for the kill, these tormentors with their obscenities, Taunting day after day, "Where is this God of yours?" 11 Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God - soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God. (Psalm 42 The Message Bible)

1 As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God? 3 My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me continually, "Where is your God?" 4 These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng, and led them in procession to the house of God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival. 5 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help 6 and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. 7 Deep calls to deep at the thunder of your cataracts; all your waves and your billows have gone over me. 8 By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. 9 I say to God, my rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I walk about mournfully because the enemy oppresses me?" 10 As with a deadly wound in my body, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me continually, "Where is your God?" 11 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God. (Psalm 42 NRSV)

This is one of those psalms that read best in two versions. I've listed The Message Bible first, then the New Revised Standard Version. Please read both. I grew up with both Reina-Valera and King James and the NRSV is closer to what I know. The image of a thirsty deer always resonated with me, and as I grew and matured and realized that that deer could easily be me, the psalm became more powerful. The modern version says that a deer drinks from the creek, we need to drink God deep in our spirits. We need the living water that only God can give; not the steady diet of tears. And it doesnt' help that there might be those who mock you or your faith. "Where is this God of yours?" or "How can you believe in a God Who permits evil things to happen in the world?" And this psalm is a marvelous way to close this week. We started with the story of the demon-possessed man who meets the source of holiness and power that allowed the man find freedom. And this psalms speaks of how a person might avoid evil; by drinking deep a healthy helping of God! A good, positive spiritual start to each day provides the fuel and protection to avoid evil and the pitfalls of evil.

Those who reside or visit the down side of spirituality that we could call the dumps may be there because of their lack of seeking and filling up on God. A life of praise lifts one up and away from that which comes up from the pits of despair. A steady diet of scripture, prayer, worship, study, et al, can help lead us into the right direction; God's.

Each day we have a choice when we awaken. Will we walk in the path that leads to God, or on the path that leads us away from Him? That important first choice can set the stage for that day and then it will accumulate what we ultimately become. I say, we choose God!

PRAYER: Loving God, bless us as we seek to be more like You. Help us have the faith of this dear writer of this powerful psalm so we can seek You and be blessed by You; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Show others what a diet of God's spirit look like, and help lead them there!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde