Thursday, December 15, 2022

At Long Last!

Image from kcisradio.com

Hear the devotional here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/At-Long-Last-e1s97vs

View on TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7177175354052857130?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&lang=en

1 Hear us, Shepherd of Israel, you who lead Joseph like a flock. You who sit enthroned between the cherubim, shine forth 2 before Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh. Awaken your might; come and save us. 3 Restore us, O God; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved. 4 How long, LORD God Almighty, will your anger smolder against the prayers of your people? 5 You have fed them with the bread of tears; you have made them drink tears by the bowlful. 6 You have made us an object of derision to our neighbors, and our enemies mock us. 7 Restore us, God Almighty; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved. (Psalm 80:1-7 NIV)

I was in seven weddings. Not as pastor; wasn't yet in a position to officiate yet. Of the seven, I was best man five times. Yes, my family had great fun in mocking my being "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride!" Yes, that was me. I wasn't ashamed for it was a great honor to be asked to be best man and groomsman. I knew in my heart that I wanted to be married and the perfect woman was out there. Where? I didn't know yet. Yes, I sang along to many songs, like "She Loves You," not knowing yet, who "she" was, but I knew she would love me. I just knew it was not yet time. Timing is important in so many situations and marriage is one of those.

This psalm is all about the right time in God's plan. Galatians 4:4-7 speaks of "The fullness of time, God sent His son..." The language says, "We've had enough, we have hurt enough, and we're ready for You, God, to act on our behalf in a mighty way." The verses say it all. These are sheep without a shepherd; yes, because of their own fault and bad decisions, but those are the best times and reasons for seeking God. They know God's power and might, and so they know what they need. Their diet of tears was enough and so they asked for it to end, and for their restoration. God has that awesome power to restore and make new. God can bring an end to ridicule and spite, and there is nothing better than to have God's face shine upon us!

In the fullness of time, I met the woman meant for me. It was a Thursday night prayer meeting and I had to attend as that was my first assignment as the new intern of El Mesias United Methodist Church, Mission, Texas. She was the youngest woman there, but I thought she was already married and had a husband that tolerated her being at church but he himself did not wish to attend. I learned the next day that Nellie was single, a school teacher, a woman of prayer, and a tither! And I chuckled when she said she had been praying for a man who loved God and enjoyed going to church. "God has a sense of humor, because He gave me a man who lives in church!" In the fullness of time.

Friend, what is your Fulllness of Time? What do you seek? What do you await? Advent means that the fullness of time is coming in God's time. Pray for patience.

PRAYER: Loving God, Thank You for being truly our shepherd; Shine on us now and always in ways that gives hope to others. In Jesus Christ we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Let God's light shine off of you onto those who seek the fullness of time.

Receive my love and blessings of peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.