Monday, May 08, 2023

Jesus the True Vine

Image from seeyouinheaven.life

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/42cvsPx. View on TikTok: https://bit.ly/3NNXNHI

1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. (John 15:1-8 NIV)

Most, if not all of us, went through a period in our lives when we asked, "Why am I here?" It was a tough time for me wondering why I was even born, why this family, why these parents, why these siblings, why this school, why do I even have to go to school? Some may ask, "What is the meaning of life?" And while most of us have realized our meaning of life, there is not one meaning that will satisfy all people. I personally believe that one of the main reasons we are here is to relate. Yes, we have a choice not to relate, but that makes life boring. But we are made to relate; to God, to others, to our friends, to our family, to our coworkers, and to any who may need us. Jesus, when answering a question abou the greatest commandment said, to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, and mind; to which He added, "And your neighbor as yourself." To relate is to love, or should be. And this passage is about true relating. Jesus invites us to relate to Him. We are part of the Lord's Vineyard and Jesus explains it; "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener." The Lord also explains how it works; as a part of the vine (our relationship with Him) we are to bear fruit (reach others and bring them to Christ), but we are warned that those of us who do not reach others may be "pruned." Jesus made us clean by our having had our sins taken away, and by our having received the teachings of Christ as ours. The words of verse four in other translations is "abide." Remain is a good word, but abide implies the decision to reside or live in Christ. Jesus says that He lives in us, so we should live in Him.

Residing in Christ will allow us to bear more fruit than by living on our own. Quite honestly what Jesus says in saying "apart from me you can do nothing." It is by relating well and strongly with Jesus, we can relate well and strongly with others, because we are there in the moment and reality of living in Christ, and Christ living in us. Our relationship with Jesus will allow us to "ask whatever (we) wish, and it will be done for (us). We will glorify God when we bear much fruit, demonstrating by our lives that we truly are Jesus' disciples.

Hear this; Jesus loves you enough to not only relate to you, but to live in you. Jesus always remind me of home. Home in the sense of that feeling of safety and security, a warm feeling of acceptance and inclusion. Years later when I met Nellie, it was that same feeling that attacted her to me and led to our marriage. Jesus invites you and me to be a part of that relationship which will bless our lives and loves. When we connect to the vine we are pretty much untouchable.

PRAYER: Awesome God, we need You and we want to be a part of the vine of life; envelope us with Your love and grant us the fullness of love and joy; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Seek others to talk about how your related to God and God relates to us!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.