Monday, August 28, 2023

Take Up Your Cross

Image from prayingthelectionary.life

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3qXlLa9

View here: https://bit.ly/3EfPL4f

21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life. 22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!” 23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. 28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” (Matthew 16:21-28 NIV Bible)

Happy and blesssed Monday, dear Reader. I pray this finds you well. Please know of my love for you and my tnankfulness to God for you. You were made for a reason and once you discover it, you can shine in brilliant ways to bless God and God's people. If you haven't yet found your purpose, pray, be silent, listen, read, pray again, and God will speak to you!

Many of the churches I served as pastor, would hand to me a huge ring of keys. My idea was "Okay, this is my cross - I must carry it!" Then I would set out to figure out how to use the most essential of the keys to save the pockets in my trousers. Keys are pocket killers! I would use the front door to the office part of the building, then the key to my office and I would leave the ring of keys in my desk and use them as needed. This was a process because I didn't want to imitate my mentors who would mount that ring on their belt somehow. To their credit they wore it proudly.

No one likes to hear that a dear one is sick, or worse, terminally ill. In the same way, the Disciples did not like the first verses of this passage as Jesus began to prepare them for what was next in His life. They were to travel to Jerusalem and there Jesus said he would "suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life." Did they really hear what Jesus said about the three days He would be raised to life? Probably not. And it certainly did not sit well with Peter because he took Jesus aside and began to rebuke Him. Ouch! His words were, "Never, Lord!" This is his going through the stage of denial. "This shall never happen to You!" You can relate to Peter's feelings and fears. I've shared how I've gotten several calls from dear friends who told me of their upcoming deaths; each one touched me greatly and hurt my soul, so I relate to Peter's heart.

Peter was not expecting Jesus' response to him; "Get behind me, Satan!" Ouch again. As a faithful disciple, he knew who was who and what was what. Satan was no bueno. And to be called Satan by Jesus must have hurt a lot. But Jesus was not finished. "You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns." He lets that simmer while He turns to the others and says that a requirement for them to truly follow Him would involved 1) Denying themselves, and 2) taking up their cross and follow Him. He also said to save their lives would involved their losing their lives; but if they lost their lives because of Jesus would find their lives.

What does it mean, dear friend, to take up our cross? Here are several meanings we can find in what Jesus is saying. The first is self-denial and surrender. What Jesus has emphasized that denial of self means to stop being self-centered, overly ambitious for the wrong things, and trying to acquire all of our desires. To take up our cross means to turn over to Jesus our personal wants, our comforts and even our pride to learn more about Jesus and His example. Taking up our cross also involves our awareness of the possibilities that may cause us to suffer. Jesus is warning that our discipleship will bring the possibilities of hardships, challenges, and even personal persecution. Taking up our cross means we truly will identify with Jesus. Jesus is not only our Lord, but also our example. We unite with Him in our lives by identifying with Him. Taking up our cross is also a daiily commitment; we hear Jesus adding the word "daily" which we take to mean an on-going choice to each day giving ourselves to Jesus.

Jesus is calling us to embrace a life of selflessness, giving, endurance, and unwavering commitment to His ways, even in the face of challenges and oppostitioon. It is His profound invitation to follow Jesus with a heart that is ready to sacrifice personal wellbeing and comforts for the sake of His kingdom.

Jesus promises that He will come in His Father's glory with His angels and He will reward us according to what we have done, and many will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

PRAYER: Loving God, help us surrender to You in ways that allow us to take up our cross and follow You. Grant to us a new heart with a spirit of service to all; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Take up your cross and follow Jesus.

Receive my blessings of love and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.