Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Heritage & Pressing On

Image from dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3tdQe4w

View the devotional: https://bit.ly/46rNkre

If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. 7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Phillippians 3:4b-14 NIV Bible)

There was a certain church during a certain time that unofficially wanted to know a person's hertiage or lineage before full acceptance could be given to those who wanted to be a part of that fellowship. The question was simple enough; what family are you from? Others included how long have you lived in this town, and what made you want to come to this church? Ouch. I will be honest and say that had that been asked of me I would have walked out of the door and started a new search for a church home. Having been born into a Methodist household, I couldn't answer questions until I learned to talk.

Back to the Apostle Paul, the man of the hour. He was a Jew, and a proud one at that. It was through his Jewish likneage that he came to faith, albeit a twisted, distorted one. Let us not forget he was a Pharisee by training and a Christian by an on-the-road encounter with Jesus Himself on the way to Damascus. Yet, as he traveled from town to town proclaiming Jesus he would start at the Jewish synagogues or temples and begin to address his brothers and sisters in the Jewish faith then drop Jesus on them, and usually that was enough for them to ask him to leave. As he corresponds with the people in Phillippi, he reminds them of who he is. One of the biggest challenges he confronted was the question of being a Jewish Christian. Could a man be both a Jew and a Christian? Peul said yes. The new leaders in the Christian movement said no.One must become a true Jew first, with the physical sign of circumcision. Ouch. Paul counters this by saying basically, you're putting too much confidence in the flesh; and if it's flesh you're talking about, get this: I was circumcised on the 8th day (like Jesus and other Jewish babies); I am of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews, and through training a Pharisee, so I know the law; and if you're questioning my commitment to zeal, I persecuted the church; I am faultless in my righteousness and accordiing to the law. But all that is nothing compared to what I gained in believing in Jesus. Anything else does not measure or compare with knowing and loving Him. Anything else is garbage. I want to gain Christ and be found in Him, meaning that how I live, how I interact with others, my thoughts, words, and deeds are all just like Jesus.

Paul's desire is to know the power of Jesus' resurrection, and even to participate in the suffering of Jesus, and even when I die, I want to die like Him, and with the full hope that I too, will be raised from the dead like Him. But, he states, I am nowhere near where I desire to be, but onward I go with the hope of taking hold of Jesus like He took hold of me. The only thing I can truly share with you is that I am pressing on towards whatever may be ahead; I seek the goal of winning the prize for which God called me towards Heaven in Christ Jesus.

This passage reminds us that our true worth and purpose are not found in earthly titles, jobs, accomplishments, status, or possessions. Instead, the great worth lies in knowing Christ intimately. Our desire should be like Paul's, to daily commit to getting to know Jesus like never before. To apply this message to our lives, we must learn to let go of our past mistakes, achievements, and self-righteousness. Instead, we press on toward the goal, eagerly seeking a deeper relationship with Christ. In doing so, we become vessels through which God's righteousness flows, not by our own efforts but through faith in Jesus.

PRAYER: Loving God, lead us on towards You. Help us recognize Your love and hand on our lives and may we learn to share that with others; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Make time for Jesus each day!

Receive my blessings of joy and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.