Thursday, November 16, 2023

Look to the Almighty!

Image from youtube.com

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3SE3OZC

View the devotional: https://bit.ly/46c1Fro

1 I look to you, heaven-dwelling God, look up to you for help. 2 Like servants, alert to their master's commands, like a maiden attending her lady, We're watching and waiting, holding our breath, awaiting your word of mercy. 3 Mercy, God, mercy! We've been kicked around long enough, 4 Kicked in the teeth by complacent rich men, kicked when we're down by arrogant brutes. (Psalm 123 The Message Bible)

Dear Reader, welcome to Thursday! I pray this is a great day for you and may all your endeavors for God be fruitful and fulfilling!

"Never a dull moment" is something we have heard or said. And it's so true. Just when we think life is going great, along comes an obstacle or a challenge and we start wondering what we said, thought, or did that this interesting "thing" came along? At this writing I'm in our local Walmart. The music is faint and so far, no Christmas songs, but plenty of classics from days past have been played. I've heard a baby or two cry in Walmart frustration that leads me to think the little one really NEEDED that toy and mean old momma didn't buy it for them. Yes, you and I have needed things or so we thought, but we couldn't afford them or really realized that need was not a part of the equation.

Going with this week's theme of oh-oh, I messed up again, the psalmist chimes in with his prayer. It's a simple prayer asking for mercy. And it sounds like what you and I may have prayed in the past when we faced something unexpected, or highly daunting. It's an invitation to have God come in and help us. Again. And again. As our psalmist has discovered the best place to look, is upward, towards the heavens from whence cometh our help. I remember going through a severe period of insecurity and as a result I would walk with my head facing down. My mother would stand outside and watch me walk towards the bus stop in those years and I would ride the Houston city bus to my junior high. "Don't be looking down, son, look up!" she would yell. "There are no more nickels to be found on the street!" she would joke. And she was right, our help does come from above, not below.

As we pray, we need to focus on God's voice. The loudness of other voices can be so distracting and depressing; the sometimes soft voice of God guiding us is just what we need; other times God yells and we can't help but listen and do as God is directing. Just now, a big sister was helping Dad in the guiding of the shopping cart on their way out, and little brother had a piece of foam and yelling, "Get away!" And as he did, he stepped right into the path of the front wheels of the cart and he stops and begins his wail of cries. We do the same when we find ourselves run over by life. Our Father says we will be alright. The human one just said,, "Come on, let's keep going."

The psalmist pleads for divine intervention against those who seek to harm. This is not a cry for vengeance but a recognition that God's love has the power to transform hearts. The surprising and overwhelming nature of God's love can disarm even the most hardened adversaries. One "challenge" I had was a very serious woman on the morning shift at my cleaners. She never smiled nor spoke other than to ask what my phone number and she would hand me my receipt for pick up later that day. Last visit she was on the phone and I was in my truck. I picked up the heavy bag of laundry to drop off and the weight of the bag honked the truck's horn twice! Gulp. I got off the truck and apologized, though she was still on the phone. Today as I dropped off some clothing she came out and said, "Just don't honk at me because I was on the phone!" And laughed! I apologized and explained and again, she just laughed. Hmm. God is good.

As are you! Share your goodness with others today in a great way! Make people smile because they saw you and you blessed them with your charm. God's taking care of the "arrogant brutes" and others who may come against us. We just need to be still and let God handle this.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, in the midst of life's challenges, we lift our eyes to You. Our refuge and strength come from You alone. In moments of chaos, be our peace. Wrap us in Your loving embrace, that we may find security and solace in Your presence. Help us bless others; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Share kindness all around!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.