Tuesday, February 13, 2024

From Suffering to Salvation

Image from bible-knowingjesus.com

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3SDcvC7

View the devotional: https://bit.ly/3utznvL

18 That's what Christ did definitively: suffered because of others' sins, the Righteous One for the unrighteous ones. He went through it all - was put to death and then made alive - to bring us to God. 19 He went and proclaimed God's salvation to earlier generations who ended up in the prison of judgment 20 because they wouldn't listen. You know, even though God waited patiently all the days that Noah built his ship, only a few were saved then, eight to be exact - saved from the water by the water. 21 The waters of baptism do that for you, not by washing away dirt from your skin but by presenting you through Jesus' resurrection before God with a clear conscience. 22 Jesus has the last word on everything and everyone, from angels to armies. He's standing right alongside God, and what he says goes. (1 Peter 3:18-22 The Message Bible)

Blessings upon blessings dear Friend on this Tuesday. May the Lord bless you and keep you! I thank God for you and your willingness to pray for others. Baby Ivy Escamillea at this writing is in recovery and breathing on her own. Her brain functions look good, and her chest has been closed after surgery. She will remain in the hospital for maybe three weeks. We thank God for these news, and may we continue to pray for her complete recovery. Our brother, The Rev. Virgilio Vasquez Garza has been having severe eye pain in his left eye and spent some time on Sunday in the ER; then this morning (Monday) at 3:30 am the severe pain returned and was at the Stand-Alone ER but was taken by ambulance to University Hospital where he was treated until 1:30 pm, then he went to his opthamologist who had to remove liquid from his eye in a painful manner. Virgilio is home now and we pray God bless him with healing. Late Monday, Ms. Kelly Lester was awaiting gall bladder surgery. Let us pray that happened quickly and successfully! Prayers for her husband Rick and their family.

I remember learning about Jesus for the very first time and I wanted Him as my Lord and Savior. And the more we studied Him, the more I wanted to know about Him. I have to admit that I envied the faith and lives of the disciples as they heard Jesus' voice say, "Follow me," and the joy Jesus felt in hearing or seeing them leave everything behind to serve Him. I sadly recall telling Jesus no the first time He called me into ministry; not because of Him but because of me; the view I had of myself and how I limited myself in thinking I could not do half of the things He might ask of me in ministry. But yet, Jesus never gave up on me. I tire not of saying that while "hiding in the belly of the great fish (AT&T-Houston), I get assigned to sit across from another seminary dropout. I remember getting a letter from the scholarship people from the United Methodist Church letting me know I still had a scholarship if I so desired to return. And the next day getting a letter from a seminary telling me that I did not have to apply but make a simple phone call to be admitted if I wanted to continue my calling. Long story short, I responded and now I'm mostly retired from that; but my desire to know Jesus more has not waned.

Peter as author is sharing his knowledge and love of Jesus for all Jesus did for him and for us. Peter knew, and later himself suffered all Jesus suffered because of our sins. The idea of The Righteous One dying for all of us unrighteous ones, is almost unbelieveable. Jesus was put to death in a death that we truly deserved; but He was made alive once more to give us the assurance that His death and resurrection will bring us to His presence and glory. And as an added bonus, Peter shares what he knows that not many do; that Jesus went and shared God's plan of salvation to all who had died prior to His being among them and sharing salvation, including those who did not listen to the prophets, yet God's grace was extended to them by Jesus.

Peter mentions all who were not invited on the ark during Noah's time, and uses that reference to speak of the waters of baptism as a symbol of our hope. Peter knows that baptism is not just a ritual, but a symbolic cleansing and a fresh start. This Peter says is a reminder that God offers forgiveness and the chance to begin anew, free from the weight of guilt and shame.

The resurrection of Jesus is the ulimate symbol of hope; just as Jesus conquered death, we too shall overcome obstacles and emerge stronger through faith. Our present sufferings can serve to draw us closer to God and refine our character. We should know that Spirit conquers flesh; we should focus on the inner strength and the enduring power of our spirit that God offers to us. We should always seek redemption knowing that if we embrace God's forgiveness and the chance to start anew. And we top this off with the hope of our resurrection because of Jesus.

PRAYER: Loving God, when storms rage in our lives, grant us the strength to endure and the wisdom to see your purpose. Help us find forgiveness and renewal, and remind us of the hope that lies beyond suffering. May we, like Christ, overcome every obstacle and live in the light of your love, we pray In Jesus' name, Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Be strong as you navigate through the ses of challenges with faith and unwavering hope.

I love you and I thank God for you!

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.