Thursday, April 28, 2005

Mile Markers

I am the first surviving son of Maria del Jesus Jimenez de Valverde. And as I had mentioned to my church a couple of Sundays ago, for four glorious years I was an only child as well. I remember Mom today because this is a mile marker. It was two years ago she went to be with as her names says, with Jesus. I called my dad earlier this morning and he was in good spirits. My sister is taking half a day off to take him to the cemetery. I was the one with tears as I spoke to him, told him I loved him and hung up and a flood of tears came. My youngest, Caitlin, whom we were driving to school saw me crying in the rearview mirrow and she ducked down like she does when she sleeps. I know it wasn't to sleep. Nellie, my wife, noticed I was tearing up as well, held my hand and told me she loved me.

Life is never the same when you lose a loved one. This came home to us when I lost my grandmother and mother-in-law in the same period of time. Phone calls once taken for granted and so needed could no longer be made. Events, special to us because of accomplishments by our daughters, no longer shared. Visits to see how each was doing no longer possible.

Yet, there is a peace about these three women having died, because of the way the lived, in Christ Jesus. While not perfect, they were forgiven, washed-in-the-blood women of faith. They shared that deep-rooted conviction in Christ with me and so the peace of the promises fulfilled in Christ Jesus are with me as I write. I miss my Mom terribly. I miss Grandma Vicha terribly. I miss Momo also terribly. Yet, I know them to be rejoicing in the Lord not suffering or worried about the challenges and trials of life. I laugh as I see these three women in my women. My wife is my mother-in-law all over again. Nellie is my mom. Sarai is my me as I am my Mom. Carli is Momo. Caitlin is my Mom and the fulfillment of a dream that Grandma Vicha had of one who would perform and delight in being on stage.

Thank you God for mile markers of yesterday and today. Praise you in advance for the mile markers yet to come!

e.v.