Wednesday, April 06, 2005

LORD, I BELIEVE, HELP ME WITH MY DOUBTS!

Happy Wednesday friends! Today is a Wonderful Wednesday at our church. Starting at 5 we'll have a cookout on the courtyard, then at 6 we'll have a brief worship service, followed by the Wednesday night classes at 6:30. Everyone is welcome and invited!

Also, our thanks to Frank Flauto, who for many years has been our webmaster, having our webpage up and running and updated. Frank has graciously handed over the reigns to J. D. Welch who has given our web page a new look and it's up and running as well. So our thanks to you J.D. and Frank! Blessings to you both! www.fumcsm.org.

Here is our study guide for today:

Wednesday: “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief” are the words found in Mark 9:17-24. For our day of action today, write down the things that you don’t quite fully believe and address them to God. Ask God to help your unbelief!

Here is that text:

17 Someone from the crowd answered him, "Teacher, I brought you my son; he has a spirit that makes him unable to speak; 18 and whenever it seizes him, it dashes him down; and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid; and I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they could not do so." 19 He answered them, "You faithless generation, how much longer must I be among you? How much longer must I put up with you? Bring him to me." 20 And they brought the boy to him. When the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth. 21 Jesus asked the father, "How long has this been happening to him?" And he said, "From childhood. 22 It has often cast him into the fire and into the water, to destroy him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us." 23 Jesus said to him, "If you are able!--All things can be done for the one who believes." 24 Immediately the father of the child cried out, [with tears] "I believe; help my unbelief!"

Here's The Message version:

17 A man out of the crowd answered, "Teacher, I brought my mute son, made speechless by a demon, to you. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and goes stiff as a board. I told your disciples, hoping they could deliver him, but they couldn't." 19 Jesus said, "What a generation! No sense of God! How many times do I have to go over these things? How much longer do I have to put up with this? Bring the boy here." 20 They brought him. When the demon saw Jesus, it threw the boy into a seizure, causing him to writhe on the ground and foam at the mouth. 21 He asked the boy's father, "How long has this been going on?" 22 Many times it pitches him into fire or the river to do away with him. If you can do anything, do it. Have a heart and help us!" 23 Jesus said, "If? There are no 'ifs' among believers. Anything can happen." 24 No sooner were the words out of his mouth than the father cried, "Then I believe. Help me with my doubts!"

Have a blessed day!

e.v.