Monday, May 29, 2006

WHAT PART OF LOVE CONTAINS "ISM?"

Good day dear friends. I hope this finds you having spent a safe and tranquil Memorial Day weekend.

We lift up prayers of thanksgiving for Caitlin's graduation this past Saturday from high school. She's the ninth graduate in two generations to finish high school on my side of the family (paternal side). Our second oldest daughter, Sarai, celebrated her birthday with us, as did Eric. Both were in church on Sunday.

The Rev. Gladys Kearney's funeral will be tomorrow, Tuesday, at 10 a.m. at Zoeller Funeral Home in New Braunfels. We pray God's comfort be with her family and friends during this time.

Yesterday we talked about who our neighbors are according to God's definition. This sermon (the 11 a.m. version) is available online.

Here is our study guide for this study:

Monday: Please read the three main passages from yesterday’s sermon. Find in there the message of loving others in the same way as God wants. Given the current issues being debated, why do such “ism’s” exist as racism, sexism, classism, etc? What would God have us do about all these divisions? What can you do on your part to better relations between all people?

The main passage came from The Good Samaritan, Luke 10:

From the New International Version (NIV): Luke 10:25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 26 "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" 27 He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" 28 "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." 29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30 In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.' 36 "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" 37 The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

The from Leviticus 19:33 "'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. 34 The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

And from Matthew 25:35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’

We all have our definitions of neighbor. For many of us, it's easier and safer, to define neighbor as those who live next door to us. Usually, our neighbors will look exactly like us. They'll have the same economic resources, drive the same cars, wear the same clothes, and maybe our homes will look the same. It's usually safe to say, "That's my neighbor." Through the years we've had some good neighbors. We've also had not so good neighbors. When our first girls were born we lived in Edinburg, Texas, and we had the most wonderful neighbors to our right. We never met the neighbors on the left. They seemed to be invisible. The Ponce's were different. They were outgoing and friendly. They did so many nice things for us, we were blessed by them.

But Jesus defined neighbor in a wider scope. To him, those in need of mercy and assistance are our neighbors. And to many of us that definition goes beyond our comfort and safety zone. After all, the implication is that there are needs with those in need that stretch us beyond that which we are accustomed: nice perfume and cologne, "Downy fresh" clothes, "our" accent, etc. For God, everyone is our neighbor. And in God's eyes we should interact with them in that way. I believe God would have us put to death all the "isms" in the world. Racism is judging only those who are like us as our neighbors; everyone else is not. And so on. Ism cannot be found in love.

It's up to us to begin to live a life that looks beyond the things that divide us to the things that unite us. To stop looking at things that hurt us, or so we think, to things that can heal us. It's all about opening our arms for embracing each other instead of taking a defensive stance with arms and fists ready for combat.

PRAYER: God of love, come and change me. Put to death in me, those things that kill, steal, and destroy the fullness of life. Help me to see with Your eyes, understand things with the mind of Christ, and live like I should, guided by Your Holy Spirit. I pray this in the name of He who loves all, Jesus my Lord. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day! A safe and restful Memorial Day.

e.v.