Monday, November 06, 2006

GOD LOVES US!

Good day dear friends.

We continued our study of the Corinth church as this first century church faced twenty-first century problems. Yesterday, we studied a passage on generosity and giving to God. The sermon was entitled, "You Can't Outgive God!" and you can hear it on www.fumcsm.org. Here is our study guide for today:

Monday: How would you close the book on the first half of your life’s story? If you had had a tremendous life thus far and you knew that great, new things were coming, what would you say? Read Malachi 3:6-10 and then chapter 4:1-6. This closes out the Old Testament (The Hebrew Bible). It ends with a tremendous spiritual challenge to God’s people in the 3rd chapter, and then in the 4th promises some great things for the coming years. What are your thoughts on this?

That first question makes one really think. As we prepared to go into worship, Katrina Allison, our Children's Ministry Coordinator, she pointed to the study guide and said, "I really like that question." I said I didn't want to scare anyone, but that does make you think. I wonder if God is going to let me live to be 108?

But what you have done during the days that you've had thus far? In the life of The Bible, the Old Testament was a tremendous history of God's love and the struggle of God's people to stay in that love. The OT closes with Malachi. Here is that passage from Malachi 3:6 For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, have not perished. 7 Ever since the days of your ancestors you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. But you say, "How shall we return?" 8 Will anyone rob God? Yet you are robbing me! But you say, "How are we robbing you?" In your tithes and offerings! 9 You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me—the whole nation of you! 10 Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing."

It's an interesting way to close out the first half of the Bible. Can you imagine a love story closing with charges of theft? The real theft has been the love due God stolen by people keeping it to themselves. Malachi's report of God's words are that the people are robbing God and the affection due God in worship by keeping the tithes and offerings for themselves. The danger is to face the wrath of God for holding back. Should the people return to God what is due Him, God says, "put me to the test...see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing."

Chapter 4:1 See, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble; the day that comes shall burn them up, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch. 2 But for you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall. 3 And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the Lord of hosts. 4 Remember the teaching of my servant Moses, the statutes and ordinances that I commanded him at Horeb for all Israel. 5 Lo, I will send you the prophet Elijah before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of parents to their children and the hearts of children to their parents, so that I will not come and strike the land with a curse. This passage shares the promise of God for the return of the teachings of Moses and the return of the prophet Elijah. This is accomplished in the coming of Jesus and at His Transfiguration. God never leaving us alone or withouf fulfilling His promises to us.(See Mt. 17:1-6)

What more can we say? God is with us. Are we with God? God is loving us. Are we loving God back?

PRAYER: Thank you, God of love, for your gifts of mercy. Let me this day learn to give back to You. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day.

e.v.