Monday, December 11, 2006

I AM


Good day dear friends. We celebrated an Advent message on Luke 21:25ff called, "God's Wonderful Life for You." This was a message about hope and faith even in the midst of suffering and uncertainty.
Here is today's study guide: Monday: The Bible is filled with passages of those who “want to know.” Either more about God or what God is planning to do. Please find and read Exodus 3:13-15. This is a passage about what God promised to one of the first servants to go and ask something of someone else before a great thing God was going to do.
Here is that passage from Exodus 3:13 But Moses said to God, "If I come to the Israelites and say to them, "The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,' and they ask me, "What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" 14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am." He said further, "Thus you shall say to the Israelites, "I am has sent me to you.' " 15 God also said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the Israelites, "The Lord, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you': This is my name forever, and this my title for all generations.
You can unlock many closed doors by knowing someone's name. To send a letter to the CEO of a certain company, will probably take you to a huge bin where those letters are seldom if ever read. If you know the CEO's name and address it to him/her, s/he may not personally read it, but someone close to him/her will and you will get results. Moses didn't know about CEOs but he did know about the power of knowing someone's name, so he asks the living God, "Who shall I say sent me if they happen to ask?" Moses is told, "Tell them that I am has sent you." The God of all life has as His name, I am, a statement of being more than of a name.
What does that mean to us today? That God still is and always will be. The God of long ago is still the God of today. The God who was the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and all the rest, is your God. Think about what can come after God's name: I am with you. I am stronger than what you face. I am able to overcome the obstacles and struggles in your life. I am never going to forsake you. I am going to take you with me for all eternity, etc.
PRAYER: Thank you I am, for being with me and for being my God. Let me live my life in a way that shares that faith with others. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day!
e.v.