Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WEDNESDAY OF HOLY WEEK: HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR JESUS?


Amazing God of the fullness of life, bring such a gift and blessing to the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for this day, Wednesday of Holy Week: Luke22: 1 Now the festival of Unleavened Bread, which is called the Passover, was near. 2 The chief priests and the scribes were looking for a way to put Jesus to death, for they were afraid of the people. 3 Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve; 4 he went away and conferred with the chief priests and officers of the temple police about how he might betray him to them. 5 They were greatly pleased and agreed to give him money.

If you're active in the life beyond Sunday morning at your church and you serve on a committee or board at your church you're no stranger to the term "parking lot meeting." Those are the meetings that happen either before or after, usually after a meeting. While the council or committee or board may have made a tremendous decision, some folks either a) aren't happy and want to keep discussing or b) want to know what else they can do. This is the worst "parking lot meeting" in history. Judas Iscariot, called by Jesus to serve as one of His disciples and even as treasurer of this group, meets with the other side of this important ministry of Jesus. Luke shares in that first verse that as this high holy day for the Jews is approaching the chief priest and scribes are looking for a way to put Jesus to death because they feared the people and what the teachings and preachings of this intinerant rabbi could cause them to do. They might even force these religious folks to lose their jobs or influence!

Luke give Judas an out, he says Satan entered him and thus this action. Whatever the motive, the result was the same: Judas betrayed Jesus for money. Matthew says it was for thirty pieces of silver (Mt. 26:15). It's not recorded directly but we know that the sign or signal to the arresting party would be that Judas would kiss (listen to U2' "Until The End of The World" song and hear the lyrics about the kiss) Jesus, which is what he did.

Every year I am reminded that all during the year I sell Jesus out, sometimes not even for 30 pieces of silver. It's a laugh at someone's expense, a thought that I shouldn't have, a word that I speak that I can't take back, or a doubt that questions the power and majesty of God; I find I am no better than Judas. But, every year I hear the same message from all that Holy Week offers: I am forgiven! Friday will remind me again, that Jesus took my place and took my sin and nailed it to the cross and there made me right with God!

Think about it: You may have a once-in-lifetime chance to do something today that will bring you happiness, joy, money or satisfaction, but you will also realize that to achieve or receive that, you are selling Jesus for that money, joy, etc. Is it worth it?

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for those times that I have taken something in place of you. Forgive me those times that I should have known better, and walked away and realized that I have sold you. Thank you for your forgiveness. Let me bless someone today with that which glorifies You! I pray this in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde