Monday, July 01, 2013

I Can't Thank You Enough!

Saying Thanks to God is Eternal...

From Psalm 30, we find these words (This is the Message version): 1 I give you all the credit, God - you got me out of that mess, you didn't let my foes gloat. 2 God, my God, I yelled for help and you put me together. 3 God, you pulled me out of the grave, gave me another chance at life when I was down-and-out. 4 All you saints! Sing your hearts out to God! Thank him to his face! 5 He gets angry once in a while, but across a lifetime there is only love. The nights of crying your eyes out give way to days of laughter. 6 When things were going great I crowed, "I've got it made. 7 I'm God's favorite. He made me king of the mountain." Then you looked the other way and I fell to pieces. 8 I called out to you, God; I laid my case before you:9 "Can you sell me for a profit when I'm dead? auction me off at a cemetery yard sale? When I'm 'dust to dust' my songs and stories of you won't sell. 10 So listen! and be kind! Help me out of this!" 11 You did it: you changed wild lament into whirling dance; You ripped off my black mourning band and decked me with wildflowers. 12 I'm about to burst with song; I can't keep quiet about you. God, my God, I can't thank you enough.

A precious moment of decision by a young girl at last night's Beacon of Hope first anniversary. The Beacon of Hope was started as a dream of Rev. Camille Bryant after being challenged by her district superintendent to do something "uncomfortable, outrageous, and courageous." She called up the Disciples of Christ pastor and shared her dream with him. They started a young people oriented service. They knew the music would be loud and the crowd would be young. Last night they closed out a two-day celebration of that first year's anniversary with having celebrated 43 professions of faith. The young lady pictured above was the first of three from last night. Only God knows where the young woman has been, but the psalmist knew what it was like to be away from God. He knew what it was to create messes. He knew what it was like to be criticized by friends and foes alike. He also knew in times like those there was only one person in whom he could trust, and that was God.

Few of us have been literally in the grave, but many of us have had those days when it felt like the only thing left to do was to throw dirt on us. We've also been at places where we were "down-and-out." God has rescued us! So, the psalmist says we should sing our hearts out to God! "Thank Him to His face!" God's love is never-ending. Yes, there are times we turn away from God and it seems like God has turned His face on us; but when we return to God there is always celebration necessary because God never lets us down.

The psalmist concludes about his obligation towards God, "I'm about to burst with song; I can't keep quiet about you, God, my God, I can't thank you enough."

Wherever you find yourself today is not where you need to stay. God can pull you out and lead you to the place where God has wanted you all along. You just need ask. Then, thank God!

PRAYER: Loving God, thank you! Even if I'm still not where I need to be, I am thankful and I am hopeful. Bless and protect those who are in need, and we pray for the comfort of those whose loved ones have perished in fighting fires in Arizona. Stay with us now and always, we pray. In Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde