Wednesday, July 03, 2013

The Power of Peace

Caring for one another starts with self-care

From Galatians 6: 1 My friends, if anyone is detected in a transgression, you who have received the Spirit should restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness. Take care that you yourselves are not tempted. 2Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if those who are nothing think they are something, they deceive themselves. 4 All must test their own work; then that work, rather than their neighbor's work, will become a cause for pride. 5 For all must carry their own loads. 6 Those who are taught the word must share in all good things with their teacher.7 Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow. 8 If you sow to your own flesh, you will reap corruption from the flesh; but if you sow to the Spirit, you will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9 So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest time, if we do not give up. 10 So then, whenever we have an opportunity, let us work for the good of all, and especially for those of the family of faith. 11 See what large letters I make when I am writing in my own hand! 12 It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh that try to compel you to be circumcised—only that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13Even the circumcised do not themselves obey the law, but they want you to be circumcised so that they may boast about your flesh. 14 May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything; but a new creation is everything! 16 As for those who will follow this rule—peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. 17 From now on, let no one make trouble for me; for I carry the marks of Jesus branded on my body.

The first part of this passage reminds me of a song I first heard after having moved to Houston, Texas. The song's music and lyrics spoke to me in ways I didn't completely understand; but having become a stranger as the new kid in a big city and big school, "I Am A Rock" by Simon and Garfunkel spoke to one who wanted to be an island. I wish I could say I did not cry for my old hometown those first few days. But I did not stay an island long. Being in community, especially one of friends and faith, one quickly learns about the importance of forgiveness and helping each other out. One shares with another in hopes of having a caring and listening ear and heart, and in turn one listens with care to another who shares with you. There can be learning and growing in listening and sharing. And this carries over into every aspect and relationship of one's life.

The second part is about our relationship with God. With God what we share with others will be what we receive. Paul says that what we sow is what we reap. If our thoughts and pleasures consume us, corruption in our bodies will follow. But if we seek that which is spiritual in all things, then we will reap a truly blessed earthly life followed by the reward of eternal life. Paul encourages us to stay faithful to God with no thoughts of leaving or falling away. Work at sharing and showing faith. This was so important that Paul as he wrote this in his own hand, scrawled big letters to emphasize his point. LET US WORK FOR THE GOOD OF ALL, AND ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE OF THE FAMILY OF FAITH.

The closing is about Jesus' grace in the face of the Law. There will be those who adhere to where to dot the i and cross the t, but it's more about relationship and obedience. Jesus did not take away the Law but fulfilled it so that we might understand the love and grace of God behind our living and acting right with each other and especially with God. God has made all of us who have this relationship with God through Jesus, new creations. This brings to us the power of peace.

Let's get busy!

PRAYER: Awesome God, thank You for making me new. Help me to work for the good of others, especially those in my family of faith. May we together make a positive and powerful difference in the lives of those not yet in faith. We ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde