Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Grateful for God's Mercy

Learning in all things to give thanks to God

From 1 Timothy 1:12 I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, 13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost. 16 But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. 17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Our church membership vows now include our promise to support our church by our prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness. The last one was added about six years ago by General Conference. It's a powerful addition, for in reality how we live, how we interact with others speaks louder than any eloquent sermon we might share with anyone. It is our witness that tells others about what God has done for us, and what God can do for them.

Paul had such a life story prior to Jesus. On many levels one could say he was very successful. He was young, brilliant, well-connected, had influence, was held in esteem and in positions of responsibilities by his peers. But on the inside, Paul confesses, "I was...a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence." Ouch. He could openly share that now, because of God's grace and mercy. But notice the word grateful in the first verse of this passage. Paul's heart, which once held hatred and anger, now holds gratitude. Paul was always grateful to Jesus for showing him mercy and giving him a new start on life. Paul was thankful to be what he was because he was doing it for the One who showed him a new way to live. He went from a spiritual ignorance to an overflowing faith filled with love in and for Christ Jesus. Jesus Christ fulfilled his mission in Paul; "that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners." And notice the other label Paul places on his life, that among those sinners saved, "I am the foremost." Sadly, that stops many today from asking for forgiveness because they feel that what they have done can never be forgiven. But that's not true. Paul claims and rightly so, that because he was "the foremost" Jesus showed him mercy in the way that He shows that mercy to me and to you. Where we think we might get shown impatience, Jesus shows patience. In thinking that Jesus might use us as an example of wickedness, we are shown as examples of what God can do to turn around our lives for the better.

What witness are we giving of what God's power in Jesus Christ has done for us? Is our heart filled with gratitude for the change that has come over us?

PRAYER: Loving God, change my life for the better. For what I have said, thought, or done, I don't deserve much; but show me your mercy and forgiveness. Fill my heart with gratitude so that I may faithfully serve You. Make my witness a powerful sermon of the possibilities that are found in You. I pray this in Christ Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde