Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Skilled in Doing Evil

The Jeremiah Text for a Sad Day of Remembrance

From Jeremiah 4: 11 At that time, this people, yes, this very Jerusalem, will be told in plain words: "The northern hordes are sweeping in from the desert steppes - 12 a gale-force wind. I ordered this wind. I'm pronouncing my hurricane judgment on my people." Your Evil Life Is Piercing Your Heart. 22 "What fools my people are! They have no idea who I am. A company of half-wits, dopes and donkeys all! Experts at evil but klutzes at good." 23 I looked at the earth - it was back to pre-Genesis chaos and emptiness. I looked at the skies, and not a star to be seen. 24 I looked at the mountains - they were trembling like aspen leaves, And all the hills rocking back and forth in the wind. 25 I looked - what's this! Not a man or woman in sight, and not a bird to be seen in the skies. 26 I looked - this can't be! Every garden and orchard shriveled up. All the towns were ghost towns. And all this because of God, because of the blazing anger of God. 27 Yes, this is God's Word on the matter: "The whole country will be laid waste - still it won't be the end of the world.28 The earth will mourn and the skies lament Because I've given my word and won't take it back. I've decided and won't change my mind." You're Not Going to Seduce Anyone.

Today marks a sad day of remembrance over an evil brought to our shores by men of evil. Believing to be faithful to their cause and belief, an attack on several fronts in the northeast of our country killed many, marred many for life, and left us with sadness that a small group of men could bring such terror to our country and into our lives. In Googling an image for todays' text, the above photo was among those one could choose. Yet, the text from Jeremiah was a prophetic call (again) for God's people to return to Him. The vision shared with the prophet is that of a fierce desert wind, a judgment against the people of Judah and Israel for again turning towards false gods and away from God. In no way am I implying that the 9/11 attack was a judgment of God; it was an act of terror. But this passage is an appeal to choose that which brings life and not destruction. How many of us have not faced the gale forces of wind caused by our own passions or stupidity, seeking life in things or person we've tried to place where God rightly belongs? How many times have we not been foolish in the things of God, living as if we had no understanding, and yes, even, as The Message version says, "Experts at Evil," and not knowing how to do good." (v. 22). Our "earth" may have looked "pre-Genesis chaos" and empty because of what we chose to do or follow, all around us signs of that which once thrived, now wilted and dead.

The Jeremiah text fits in the midst of all the lectionary texts recommended for this week; we matter to God and God never gives up on us. Use this text to remind us that we do not have to make foolish or damaging choices. We can prayerfully consider the things of God for the things that bring to us, through Christ, life and that in abundance.

PRAYER: Loving God, speak to my heart and mind. Forgive me those times I have been too skilled in choosing and doing evil; lead me to faithfulness and fruitfulness. I seek to do and live the life of good shown to me by Jesus Christ, and it is in His name that I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde