Wednesday, December 18, 2013

This Shall Be The Sign

Image from jrwoodward.net

Some may not believe that God can do all things

From Isaiah 7: 10 Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz, saying, 11 Ask a sign of the Lord your God; let it be deep as Sheol or high as heaven. 12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, and I will not put the Lord to the test. 13Then Isaiah said: "Hear then, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary mortals, that you weary my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel. 15 He shall eat curds and honey by the time he knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good. 16 For before the child knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land before whose two kings you are in dread will be deserted.

Grandson of the great and beloved King Uzziah, whose death prompted the vision of Isaiah the prophet where God asks who will go for Him to the people and we have that famous reply, "Here I am, send me!" (Isa. 6:8), King Ahaz has a huge crisis on his hands. Two rival kings rise up against him and are threatening to attack and destroy him and his kingdom. In the midst of that God sends word through His prophet that he should have faith. The correct wording is, "Ask a sign of the Lord your God," and it can be anything as high as the sky or as deep as the pit of Sheol," and Ahaz says, "Nah, that's okay." Not hardly the response one gives God when God says I am with you and I will do whatever you need. And since you did not ask for a sign I'm going to give you one anyway. And here we get the famous "Look, the young woman is with child and will bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel." This is the foretelling of the coming of the Christ child named with a strong name of faith even in the face of doubt. "God is with us" shall be His name. How do you like that name, King Fears?

This is our story as well. We face a crisis and we pray and as we pray we may have a thought or vision of what God can and will do for us and yet we don't ask for that, we just go through the motion of praying just for prayer's sake and nor God's. We think of excuses and think of reasons why it can't possibly go right when all things point to wrong. God acts on our behalf with a response that says, "Child, I am right here with you and this that you find difficult or impossible, I will do." The coming of a child named for God's presence says a lot. It says our God never loses nor never gives up on us. What do we do that says we believe that or trust that?

Advent is that time that says Lord, even though it looks bleak at times, I know You are here with me and You can do all things. Advent leads up to the birth of the child named for that, Emmanuel, God is with us. Are we with God?

PRAYER: Loving God, even in the times of illness and doubt, speak to my faith and let me believe that You are with me, and where You are, life and victory are ours. This I believe is the message of Advent and the message of hope for an unbelieving world. In the name of He who is God with Us, Jesus the Christ, my Lord and Savior I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Update: As you and I have been praying for Elida Gonzales, two updates have been received; the first was that her fever went away, and then last night that she went from critical to stable condition. The family is thankful and hopeful, and we should praise God and continue to pray a prayer that says, God is with us! Blessings to you and your needs!