Friday, August 25, 2017

Everything in Me Says, "Thank You!"

Image from pickyourportion.com

Thank you! Everything in me says "Thank you!" Angels listen as I sing my thanks. I kneel in worship facing your holy temple and say it again: "Thank you!" Thank you for your love, thank you for your faithfulness; Most holy is your name, most holy is your Word. The moment I called out, you stepped in; you made my life large with strength. When they hear what you have to say, God, all earth's kings will say "Thank you." They'll sing of what you've done: "How great the glory of God!" And here's why: God, high above, sees far below; no matter the distance, he knows everything about us. When I walk into the thick of trouble, keep me alive in the angry turmoil. With one hand strike my foes, With your other hand save me. Finish what you started in me, God. Your love is eternal - don't quit on me now. (Psalm 138)

Does anything in you say "Thank you!" in the way you live out your life?  I've shared with you before about a Japanese student in our seminary that may have been taught to respond with a smile and "thank you" when he did not understand a question or statement from some one.  It made a dear friend of mine and myself smile when we realized that.  And whoever taught him that was smart.  Who can argue with a thank you and a smile?

The psalmist knew gratitude towards God was essential for his life.  As he looked around at what he had, what he had escaped, and how he knew his steps were being guided by God, all he knew to say was "Thank You!"  And I love how he writes, in this version, "Everything in me says, "Thank You!"  He would sing his thanks to God, and angels would listen.  He would kneel in worship as he faced the direction of the temple and say it in prayer, "Thank You!"  He was thankful for God's love, for God's faithfulness, for the holiness of God's name and the specialness of God's holy Word.  David knew God to be a God involved with those who invite Him.  He knew God to answer prayer according to His will as he prayed.  God strengthened David's life, and as he shared with other leaders about God, he saw them say "thank You" as well.  David knew that God knows and sees all.  God sees us in trouble and if asked, steps in and helps.

I think we have our marching orders for today.  Live a life that says "Thank You!" to the Most High.

PRAYER:  Loving God, again we thank You for all things.  We pray again that you would be with us and whatever it is we are facing.  We especially pray your protection and blessing on those in the path of the oncoming storm.  May Your hand guide all to safety and keep us from all harm.  Above all, as told to evacuate, we pray all would listen and seek safer places in which to face this storm.  Be glorified in our lives and in the lives of those in need.  We pray in faith in the strong name of Jesus our Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Say "Thank You!" several times today; to those who need it, but especially to God.

Eradio Valverde