Tuesday, July 03, 2018

For Whenever I Am Weak, Then I Am Strong!

Image from pinterest.co.uk

I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. And I know that such a person—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows— was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat. On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given to me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:2-10)

Dear one, I am thankful that last year, which was yesterday is over!  It seemed like a year; I even slept in today, arising at 6:05!  If I were a farmer, I'd be fired!  I am a sower, and so please dock my pay.  I'll share what made last year, I mean yesterday, what it was.  I awoke with the reality that that was the day of Nellie's second surgery in such a short time; June 5th foot surgery, July 1, wrist surgery to repair what came about because of foot surgery.  Then the text with the photo of a posting that I had to read three times before I could even grasp that it was real.  A dear friend and colleague in ministry, Rev. Sheldon Johnson, had in one accident on Sunday night; the first day of his retirement, lost his family.  His wife and son, killed, and he badly injured, as was his sister-in-law.  No way!  Interesting how our minds go to that or similar phrases when confronted with news you don't want to hear or read about.  No way!  I thank God, Almighty God, that Nellie's surgery went well, with the exception of a high pulse rate at the end, that medication brought down quickly enough and we were home.  She's still sleeping.  Thank you all SO MUCH for your prayers.  It made last year, I mean, yesterday so much easier to endure.

The Apostle Paul had worse days that last year.  Yet, through it all he had his eyes and mind on two options all the time.  Reread the first verse above again; he's thinking of the first option that he looks so forward to - Heaven.  He heard from a man he knows, tell of a near-death experience or vision of some sort, that gave that man a glimpse of something Paul had already experienced and he knew to be his final and eternal destination; that made him so happy he wanted to shout and boast about it; but he refrained.  He did write it down so we could know and we could be comforted; there is a reality that awaits those who live in the Lord; for they will die in the Lord and be with the Lord forever.  Paul had a joy about life since he met Jesus (as should we!).  He was a very aggressive man, a successful man in his first career - that of putting Christians to death and in prison; and he took the same oppressive skills and made them evangelistic skills.  But something troubled this dear servant of God, something scholars have no real idea what it was, and something we add to the list of People to Look Up and Ask Questions About:  "Say, Paul!" which I would say with the same tremble and fear that young girls used to say to The Beatles, but it's not Sir Paul, but THE Paul, the Apostle Paul, "What was the thorn in your flesh?"  I would also ask, if the answer did not satisfy me, "What made you call it 'a Messenger of Satan'?"  And, as we further read, he prayed to the Lord three times about it, and God's answer was that His grace was sufficient for him, as it is for us; and that His power is made perfect in weakness.  Ponder that.  There are some days, like yesterday, that we cannot ever fully explain nor understand, but at our weakest, Christ is His strongest.  And we can brag on that so that that power of Christ Jesus be in us.  Paul's list of "years" that he endured for the sake of the Gospel is long, but he shortens it for our sake:  Besides weaknesses, there were insults, hardships (too numerous to list), persecutions (imagine both your former colleagues and your enemies trying to kill you!), and calamities.  Then the title of today's devotional, and that which blesses us: "For whenever I am weak, then I am strong."  Bam!  Nothing can come out way that will ever weaken Jesus in us.  Our pains may still haunt us, but not our memory; those things we have turned over to the Lord.  Our walk may not be the spring in our step that we once enjoyed, but we move steadily forward and upward.  Paul could see, as should we, the outstretched arms of a loving Savior; for He both embraces and strengthens our walk and guides us to that for which we long.

PRAYER:  Loving God, for the "years" we have had to endure in the last month or so of our lives, we are thankful above all else, for You.  Stay with us.  Put up with us.  Be strong in us. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.  Even if it seems a year, today is the present God gave us; make the best of it for His sake.  Nothing will ever make Jesus weak in us!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUEST:  Please continue in prayer for Rev. Sheldon Johnson.  He underwent his first surgery yesterday to repair his left ankle, today at 10:50 or so, he undergoes his second surgery.  There are others he will have to endure and the reality of having lost his family will be his soon; pray the Lord make him strong and share with him, His comfort.  For our brother Bob Clark.  I spoke with him late last night; he is in Houston and shared how today will be a long day of treatments as will Thursday.  Tomorrow he gets a day of rest.  May he beat this cancer!  And continued prayers for Nellie Valverde as she recovers.  She received a nerve block which deadened his arm for about a week, and has it in a sling; her fear is the pain that will come when it awakens.  Pray for one another, pray for yourself.