Thursday, July 19, 2018

God's Promise To David

Image from welbeckroadchurch.org.uk

I found David, my servant, poured holy oil on his head, And I'll keep my hand steadily on him, yes, I'll stick with him through thick and thin.  No enemy will get the best of him, no scoundrel will do him in. I'll weed out all who oppose him, I'll clean out all who hate him. I'm with him for good and I'll love him forever; I've set him on high - he's riding high!  I've put Ocean in his one hand, River in the other; he'll call out, 'Oh, my Father - my God, my Rock of Salvation!'  Yes, I'm setting him apart as the First of the royal line, High King over all of earth's kings.  I'll preserve him eternally in my love, I'll faithfully do all I so solemnly promised.  I'll guarantee his family tree and underwrite his rule.  If his children refuse to do what I tell them, if they refuse to walk in the way I show them,  If they spit on the directions I give them and tear up the rules I post for them - I'll rub their faces in the dirt of their rebellion and make them face the music.  But I'll never throw them out, never abandon or disown them. Do you think I'd withdraw my holy promise? or take back words I'd already spoken?  I've given my word, my whole and holy word; do you think I would lie to David? His family tree is here for good, his sovereignty as sure as the sun, Dependable as the phases of the moon, inescapable as weather." (Psalm 89:20-37 The Message)

Dear friend, I slept in!  I awoke on my own at 6:10 a.m.!  I couldn't believe it.  Nellie and I went to bed with the knowledge that today early, we had to travel to Gonzales to have our blood drawn for our annual checkup.  And we just built up on that first appointment of the day.  When one has to fast until that blood is drawn, you want it done so you can eat!  So, here is what I hoped would be a matinee edition of ConCafe, but it comes as Vespers.

This psalm is written as God writing it, even through the eyes and voice of the prophet Samuel, who anointed David.  God's declaration is there as it was in yesterday's passage from 2 Samuel.  This one is more specific; God spelling out all the details of this promise to Israel's great king.  God calls David his servant, anointed by the hand of Samuel, but with God's hand upon that hand.  The promise of God is to stick with David through thick and thin, with the added promise that no enemy shall prevail against them.  And that's a mighty promise given the reality of constant battle that David experienced throughout his life and especially as king.  God promises to set David on high, with the promise of God's love forever upon him.  David's lineage is promised and assured.  Even punishment upon David's children is mentioned, showing the favor God is showing upon David.  God's favor upon David would know no end.

The good news about this passage is the favor of God is upon those who trust Him enough to call out to Him all the time, in the good and the bad.  We may not be kings in this earthly realm, but to reign in the afterlife is a bit of what we can expect according to scripture.  And to face the challenges and opportunities of this life with God's favor with us should be enough to motivate us to move forward confident that God will bless us in whatever it is God would have us do.  Our motivation should be to stay in God's favor each day, with each step.

To stay in God's favor involves our willingness to constantly connect with God through prayer and Bible study and all the spiritual disciplines - abiding in Christ in all things and all ways.

PRAYER:  Amazing God, bless and protect those whom I love and those whom need You to the point they show little or no love towards me or others.  May we seek Your loving favor on us is our prayer, which we lift up in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Show others that God's favor rests upon you!

Eradio Valverde