Monday, September 10, 2018

Ashamed of Jesus?  Or Is Jesus Ashamed of You?

Image from agnusday.org

Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, ‘Who do people say that I am?’ And they answered him, ‘John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.’ He asked them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Peter answered him, ‘You are the Messiah.’ And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him. Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, ‘Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.’ He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.’ (Mark 8:27-28)

Happy Monday, dear Friend!  I pray the weekend renewed and refreshed you, just like the glorious rain we received in these parts!  The parched land all around us was thankful!  I would list the names of those who are thankful, but it would take too long!

Who we say Jesus is comes easily to those who watch us and know us.  Those honest friends may even tell us, as will our honest critics; but for us it is imperative that we say that Jesus is our Lord and Savior by our very being.  For the disciples, it was a question asked by the Master Himself that started first as a question about what people thought about Him.  They hemmed and hawed and say, "John the Baptist, Elijah, or one of the prophets - depends who you ask!"  And then the big question; "Who do you say that I am?"  Gulp.  Peter, brave Peter, first in talk, late in thought, but this time he was right, "You are the Messiah."  And again, we find Mark's Messianic Secret enforced, as Jesus tells them to tell no one about Him.  

Jesus then shares the secret of what was next in His life, which shocked and angered the 12.  They did not want to know about the coming sufferings for Jesus.  And certainly not about His death; this drove Peter to rebuke Jesus!  Gulp again.  Jesus then calls Peter Satan; for he was setting his mind on human things, not the divine.  Then the challenge from Jesus even for us:  "If any want to be my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it."  

Then the closing reality, "Those who are ashamed of me and my words...the Son of Man will also be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."  Triple gulp!  How many times have we hemmed and hawed when people have asked about our faith?  How many of us to "fit in" have said something not true about our faith in order to have people like us and not judge us?  The call to be popular for many can be so overpowering that compromises replace commitments, and vices replace vows.  We are called to NOT be ashamed of Jesus!

PRAYER:  Loving Father, guide me, for I place You in the driver's seat of my life.  Lead me to faithfulness and fruitfulness.  I want to please and be accepted only by You.  Help me ignore the roar of the crowd or that one person that doesn't seem to want to let up; I belong to You.  In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Show the Lord you know Him and love Him; and are NOT ashamed of Him today!

Eradio Valverde