Friday, July 19, 2019

Living with a Thorn?

HEAR HERE:

Image from churchofpentecost.net

6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, 7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. 8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:6-10 NRSV)

It's good to keep learning. And that easily comes from reading, listening, watching. Today, as I read further into N. T. Wright's Paul book, he shared something that made me weep as I tried to share it with Nellie. In passing, Dr. Wright mentions that perhaps, Paul's "thorn in the flesh" could have been a recurring nightmare of his having been present, and approving, of the murder of Stephen, the first Christian martyr. I can't explain why that as I drove, I became emotional as I shared that awesome, but burdensome thought; that he, now an evangelist of Christ as Messiah and Savior, once approved of the stoning death of a believer like he was now. (Here is where you can get a copy of Dr. N. T. Wright's Paul: An Autobiography : ) This story is found in Acts 7:58-8:1:

58 Then they dragged him out of the city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60 Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he died. 8:1 And Saul approved of their killing him.

What a nightmare to have. Paul said, "YES!" at that time to this murder, and received from that horrible event, the inspiration to become the one who would arrest and drag other Christian believers to their deaths. We find these verses in Chapter 8:

3 But Saul was ravaging the church by entering house after house; dragging off both men and women, he committed them to prison. 4 Now those who were scattered went from place to place, proclaiming the word.

I think you and I would have trouble sleeping from this. Another point Wright makes is that as Paul shares this, he says that he prayed three times to the Lord, and while expecting this to be another affirmation of the power of prayer, Paul says, each time God's answer was NO.

What keeps you awake at night? Are you living with a "thorn" of some sort that makes you lose sleep? If so, we need to turn it over to God (again and again, if necessary) so that the peace of our having been forgiven is truly ours. Our human nature makes true what many say, "God is good to forgive; we're not so ready to forgive ourselves..." And that is true. Our inability to true receive God's forgiveness keeps us up and worried. But hear what we hear every time we celebrate Holy Communion in our churches, "Hear the Good News! Christ died for us while we were still sinners. In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven!" And we repeat back, "In the name of Jesus Christ you are forgiven. Glory to God, amen." Receive that! Be blessed.

PRAYER: Loving God, while we do not yet know what was the thorn that trouble Your servant Paul, You do know the one that troubles us. If it be Thy will, remove it from this dear reader and grant them peace. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. Be a forgiven soul today that shares that with others!

Blessings of love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde