Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Wayward Child

Image from preachingsource.com

1 "When Israel was only a child, I loved him. I called out, 'My son!' - called him out of Egypt. 2 But when others called him, he ran off and left me. He worshiped the popular sex gods, he played at religion with toy gods. 3 Still, I stuck with him. I led Ephraim. I rescued him from human bondage, But he never acknowledged my help, 4 never admitted that I was the one pulling his wagon, That I lifted him, like a baby, to my cheek, that I bent down to feed him. 5 Now he wants to go back to Egypt or go over to Assyria -anything but return to me! 6 That's why his cities are unsafe - the murder rate skyrockets and every plan to improve things falls to pieces. 7 My people are hell-bent on leaving me. They pray to god Baal for help. He doesn't lift a finger to help them. 8 But how can I give up on you, Ephraim? How can I turn you loose, Israel? How can I leave you to be ruined like Admah, devastated like luckless Zeboim? I can't bear to even think such thoughts. My insides churn in protest. 9 And so I'm not going to act on my anger. I'm not going to destroy Ephraim. And why? Because I am God and not a human. I'm The Holy One and I'm here - in your very midst. 10 "The people will end up following God. I will roar like a lion - Oh, how I'll roar! My frightened children will come running from the west. 11 Like frightened birds they'll come from Egypt, from Assyria like scared doves. I'll move them back into their homes." God's Word! Soul-Destroying Lies (Hosea 11:1-11 The Message)

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/2Yx1FiL

A wonderful Wednesday is ours when we live it in the Lord and expect His blessings and love. May it be so for you and yours is my prayer for you, dear Friend! As we pray today, please pray for the family of Peggy Munson, who died yesterday. Her funeral will be Saturday at FUMC Gonzales at 11 a.m. May God's comfort be with all who loved her and who will miss her. Please pray for one another, and please pray for yourselves.

The story of the wayward wife becomes the story of a wayward son. God has the love of a faithful, forgiving father who faces the frustration of a child who wants to live his life his way, and to make decisions that go against that father. God was the father who called his son out of slavery in Egypt and led him to a new home. And once there, that child chose to run away after "popular sex gods" and played with "toy gods." Yet, God was faithful. The father never received any thanks for all that God did for his child. This version uses good imagery, that the child did not thank his father for freedom nor for being the one who "pulled his wagon." God describes his actions which are like lifting his child, kissing his cheek, and bending down to feed him. And in spite of those loving actions, the child wants to return back to slavery! It matters not if it's Egypt or Assyria, both places represent an imprisonment and a separation away from God. The child prefers to live in a place where the murder rate is high and all plans for improvement amount to nothing. The child prefers any place other than the presence of God. And they prefer to seek help from a nonexistent god. Yet, in spite of these actions, God's love continues faithful and firm. The more I write about this the more I am reminded of the way I live and the history of my personal faith. Honestly, your story may mirror mine or that of Israel. John Newton put it famously in a hymn about his own life and faith struggle; "that saved a wretch like me; I once was lost, but now am found; was blind but now I see." Whew! Yup, I raise my hand as one who has lived that, but rejoice and thank God for His amazing grace. An undeserved love that never gives up on me or you; and we long for the day when "My frightened children will come running from the west;" all welcome back to their home.

An open front door to our home is always ours. Never locked, and never closed. Inside we can await the strong, loving embrace of God when we choose to return home. The paths we have tried have led us nowhere. The path back home is the only one that leads to life. We may have seen some incredible sights, smelled some wondrous things, but the sights, smells and love of home can not be matched by anything or any place on earth. Jesus told the story of the wayward son for a reason; God wants you and me back always.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, thank You for Your never-ending love and concern for me and for this dear reader; may we be smart and brave enough to follow that which brings us home. There is no place like home. And home is where I belong. In Jesus' strong name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Be a loving brother or sister to a wayward child you know; lead them back home with love today!

Blessings of love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde