Monday, October 21, 2019

Holier than Thou?

Image from pinterest.com

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/33MJ05B

9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, "God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted." (Luke 18:9-14 NRSV)

A wonderful Monday greeting to you and yours, dear Friend! I pray the blessings of a restful weekend were yours and that time spent with the Lord through this devotional bless you for the week ahead. From your bulletins in church you have an idea of the prayer needs from the prayer list inside it. So, please lift those up and pray for one another, and pray for yourselves.

Prayer was something that Jesus did, and it was something that He taught with every opportunity that came to him. And as this chapter began, He was teaching prayer and then gives this example of prayer to those in His audience who "trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt." Two men, Jesus said, went up to the temple to pray. Remember that the temple was the place where heaven and earth met; the connecting place for God. A place where most would humble themselves for prayer and praise. The steps leading up to the entrance of the temple were made in a way to force people to look down and walk up with care and humility. Yet, as even happens in churches today, nothing means as much as what some bring or feel about themselves. The Pharisee begins his prayer with a thanksgiving about himself. "God, I thank You that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector." Ouch. You can bet this prayer was within earshot of this tax collector. Yet he continued, "I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income." Ouch again. Chances are the tax collector did none of these things.

The tax man then prayed from his heart, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!" The prayer of a contrite heart. The prayer that we should all pray from time to time. During times that I run I pray this breath prayer. We all stand in need of God's grace and nothing better than to ask for His mercy on us, always.

Jesus then states that this man went home as the only justified person of the two. Further, Jesus adds, "All who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

Prayer is a time for honesty, not trying to impress others. The old story of a man called on to pray at a presidential cabinet meeting, rumored to have been in the cabinet of Lyndon B. Johnson; the man hardly spoke above a whisper and the President said, "I can't hear you!" The man without hesitating said, "I wasn't praying to you!" Or, the comedic routine of Anjelah Johnson who calls her squad together to pray, "For Karen, because she's pregnant." Gossip, not gospel. Prayer is about admitting to the One who knows how we are, how we are.

PRAYER: Loving God, You know who I am, and what's in my heart; forgive me and change me. Let me be the person You want me to be. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Bless someone with a prayer today. Pray for your pastor!

Blessings of love, Pastor Eradio Valverde