Friday, October 18, 2019

Better Than Home Cooking!

Image from elmercurio.com.mx

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/2qqiGjz

97 Oh, how I love all you've revealed; I reverently ponder it all the day long. 98 Your commands give me an edge on my enemies; they never become obsolete. 99 I've even become smarter than my teachers since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel. 100 I've become wiser than the wise old sages simply by doing what you tell me. 101 I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil so I can spend all my time keeping your Word. 102 I never make detours from the route you laid out; you gave me such good directions. 103 Your words are so choice, so tasty; I prefer them to the best home cooking. 104 With your instruction, I understand life; that's why I hate false propaganda. (Psalm 119: 97-104 The Message)

Some years ago, one of our nephews was getting ready to leave home for college. Nellie and I went to see him and asked if he was going to miss home and home cooking. He laughed and said, "Mom doesn't cook; I thought you knew that!" We acted like we didn't. "Well, I guess I'm going to miss Luby's, Whataburger, El Pato..." and he listed a bunch of fast food places in the area. We laughed. Those of us blessed with home cooking know there is no substitute for such a blessing. I was away from home in college and looked forward to every other weekend when I could return home to enjoy my mother's home cooking. The year I spent in Denver, Colorado, was an experience I will never forget. I had learned how to cook at the age of 9 and having an apartment there in Denver, I was able to improve my skills. But nothing matched what I got at home. I would call and ask Mom for suggestions on recipes, even venturing into making menudo once I found a meat market that would sell me tripe.

Can you imagine anything better than home cooking? David came to love God's law (scriptures) and the connection he got from reading it. Notice again what he lists as the blessings he got from reading it: An edge over his enemies. The law was always fresh and relevant. He even knew he was now smarter than his teachers; such was the time he spent in study and devotion. He believes he had even gotten to the point of knowing more than the wisest sages he had known. It had become a guide for his very steps; and here's the title; he loved that God's word was tasty, preferred even to "best home cooking." With God's word, he understood life.

When was the last time you "tasted and proved" the Lord's word? I mean, that you took time to truly enjoy and devour every word as morsels of nourishment and blessings. Guess what? it's not too late to start again. Pick the Bible up, and let the Bible pick you up!

PRAYER: Loving God, I want what David had; I want the joy, peace, strength, guidance, power, and comfort that he found the more he spent in time with You. Help me to be blessed and to share it with others. In Christ Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Show your appreciation to those who teach Bible in your midst.

Blessings of love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde