Monday, December 09, 2019

John the Preparer!

Image from ipswitchcatholic.com

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/2P3Q0GX

2 When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples 3 and said to him, "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?" 4 Jesus answered them, "Go and tell John what you hear and see: 5 the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. 6 And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me." 7 As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: "What did you go out into the wilderness to look at? A reed shaken by the wind? 8 What then did you go out to see? Someone dressed in soft robes? Look, those who wear soft robes are in royal palaces. 9 What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10 This is the one about whom it is written, "See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you.' 11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women no one has arisen greater than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. (Matthew 11:2-11 NRSV)

Happy Monday, dear Friend! If the joy of the Lord is your strength, then any day, especially Monday can be a Happy day! I pray the joy of Jesus in you give you the joy, strength, courage, and boldness as you face today and all this week! May the peace and the pace that the Lord shares shape your week for productivity and blessing!

On social media I saw a grandpa exit from a terminal to find a sign by his grandkids, who had not seen him for two years, holding a sign that said, "Welcome home from prison, Grandpa! We missed you!" Gulp. I didn't know how I would have reacted to such a sign even if I had been in prison. I would be a bit embarrassed and sort of bashful about admitting that. I may be wrong, but not all people react to all things like me, nor do they need to, but being in prison changes your life. I've shared how when I was in Rotary in San Antonio, a SAPD police officer in a cruiser came to my office at the church and "arrested" me. I was taken to a "jail" in a shopping mall, where I had a phone to call friends and church members to "bail" me out. It was a scholarship fund for which we were raising the money, but the impact of the experience stayed fresh with me. Thankfully, my church members and friends quickly raised the money and I was released soon. I could only imagine what it is like to be really locked up and have no idea as to when one could leave. John, the cousin of Jesus, was locked up and he knew there would be only one way that he would leave that prison; as a dead person. One's mind wanders and asks all the wrong things. And to be in prison and to hear things, makes the mind wander even more, so the question John asks Jesus is not far off. "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?"

John's parents knew what he was going to do with his life. His aunt, Mary, the mother of Jesus, also knew. And John grew up with the full knowledge that he was the one chosen by God to prepare the way of the Lord. And soon he learned that his baby cousin, Jesus, was the Lord. He reluctantly baptized Him, and had seen the progress that Jesus made in the plans and purposes of God in Jesus. John was then arrested for criticizing Herod and his lifestyle, namely, living with his brother's wife. And he had an idea that things would not go well with his life. And as he heard about Jesus and what He was doing, he wondered, "Have I truly done what God wanted me to do with my life?" This was a normal reaction that comes to so many. It was said the late Mother Theresa doubted towards the end of her life, if she had truly done what God wanted her to do. So much good was done for those whom no one even saw nor wanted to touch; she brought humanity to them and blessed them, even as most of them died. So, John wonders. And he asked. And Jesus responded.

"Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me." John had heard. John had even seen. But, the confirmation that he needed was shared with him. Jesus knew that His cousin would die, but he would be given the gift of eternal life in the kingdom of God.

Jesus, after He sent the messengers to answer John, continued His evaluation of John; that John was not a shaky reed blowing in the wind. He was a stalwart of faith; faithful, bold, and bowed to no one, not even Herod. His very dress, Jesus says, gave proof to his calling and work. Jesus further jabs at those who live in palaces, who just happen to be the ones who were holding John prisoner and who would ultimately order his death. "John was a prophet!" Jesus declares, with all the right and privileges thereof!" He was mentioned in scripture, the Lord said, and his place is secure in the annals of the history of faith; even his birth has blessed his mother; and yet, those who believe and do what God has asked of them, will hold a greater place in Heaven.

Wow. Quite a humbling thought. Faithfulness that leads to fruitfulness will reward those with a fullness of life for all eternity. We sometimes think "I have not done enough," but we leave it to God and onward we continue, to love, care, support, and live as called by Christ. It may seem like an insignificant ripple in a large body of water, but the ripple may bring life to someone who was lacking life. And we may never even see it here, but when it counts, we will know. Today after church I had lunch with a dear friend, who is now a pastor in Floresville. He shared how some things I shared with him when I was his pastor in Harlingen impacted him and allowed him in his own call from God to serve in the local church. I had no recollection of any of it. I just thank God that it blessed someone.

PRAYER: Loving God, I thank You for John the Baptist and his faithfulness. Mold me into being faithful and fruitful, like him in what I do. I want to make a difference in whatever way I can. This I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. What can I do to prepare further the way of the Lord among those whom I know?

Blessings of love and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde