Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Get Up and Move! Would You??

Image from bobcornwall.com

HEAR HERE: http://bit.ly/38k5Mns

1 Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. 2 I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." 4 So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; (Genesis 12:1-4a NRSV)

Happy Wednesday, dear Friend. I pray this finds you well and blessed. I also pray this time together will bless you.

There are certain individuals who do not like to move. Stats show that in the USA, six out of ten people still live in their home state, with men leading women in being the ones who prefer staying in their home state. Being from Texas, we can understand not wanting to leave here. If the news is correct, a lot of people are moving into Texas. Can we blame them? However, the US Census says that the average American will move 11.7 times in their lifetime. Moving is not an easy thing, especially for children. As a United Methodist pastor, I cried for my girls when we had to move, because they would have to start over in a new school, making new friends, etc. It wasn't easier for Nellie, but move we did.

Our passage today shows the father of the faith, whom we talked about yesterday, Abram (before his name change) heard God in a vision telling him to move. In that command, God mentions the rough areas that would be especially difficult for the average person; country, family, and immediate family. And the move as God mentioned, did not specify where the move would be to. It was hard enough dealing with the "from." And that is usually really hard. A move involves going from the known to the unknown. As we visit from place to place, the thought enters my mind, could I live here? Is there an HEB? Is there a WalMart? Is there this type of restaurant or that? You know, besides a Dairy Queen... Then, where would we go to church? Are the people there friendly? Where would we live? An apartment or home? Well, you get the picture.

Abram probably didn't have as long a list, but he may have wondered, who will take care of my Dad and Mom? Is there an HEB in Canaan? Okay, he didn't ask that. But he did listen to God. God continued, "I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." So Abram went, as the Lord told him. You see, Abram knew and trusted God. Abram had a relationship with God, and within that relationship, Abram had found life and purpose, and to hear the God of the Universe invite him to be a blessing for all humanity, well, he was up to the task. Abram knew the importance of blessings and if he could bring blessings to others, he wanted to be counted in. His yes allowed him to be listed in God's word as the father of the faith.

Is God calling you to get up and go? Hear this well; you may not have to move halfway across the world to serve Him. It may be simply to walk across the aisle on Sunday to greet someone outside your comfort group. It may mean crossing the street from your church to meet the people who could be worshiping with you but have not yet been invited. You will not go alone, God will go with you and will bless you with the words and wisdom to serve Him. Say yes to God!

PRAYER: Awesome Father, if I can be a blessing to You or one of Yours, please call on me. Grant me strength to make the move away from comfort and into service. This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Take the first step in sharing Jesus!

Receive my blessings of peace and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde