Thursday, August 27, 2020

Seek the Lord!

Image from bibleverseimages.com

1 O give thanks to the Lord, call on his name, make known his deeds among the peoples. 2 Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wonderful works. 3 Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice. 4 Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually. 5 Remember the wonderful works he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he has uttered, 6 O offspring of his servant Abraham, children of Jacob, his chosen ones. 23 Then Israel came to Egypt; Jacob lived as an alien in the land of Ham. 24 And the Lord made his people very fruitful, and made them stronger than their foes, 25 whose hearts he then turned to hate his people, to deal craftily with his servants. 26 He sent his servant Moses, and Aaron whom he had chosen. 45 that they might keep his statutes and observe his laws. Praise the Lord! (Psalm 105:1-6, 23-26, 45c The Message)

Seeking the Lord is a theme of the entire Bible. So is being grateful. And these are two of the basic elements of living faithful and fruitful lives. Singing is also a key part. Yesterday, as my grandson, LIam, and I were coming home from the barber's (Yes, I finally got a haircut after a long time of staying home!), and I turned off the radio and began to sing. I sang songs from my childhood in English and Spanish. I must have embarrassed my grandson, but isn't that what grandpa's are for? I wanted to sing praises to my God and Redeemer, and wanted to impress upon his mind and life, that it is okay to sing, and a very needed thing. And if singing is praying twice, I truly needed it then, and now!

Let's get back to seeking. Honestly, the Lord seeks us. God loves us first and seeks to have a relationship with us. Sometimes we respond, most times we're oblivious to this search on God's part for us. I remember in seventh grade seeking strength. As a kid who bought comic books, I loved the ads on the back cover that featured Charles Atlas. Charles advertised that if you bought his training program you would never have sand kicked in your face, like the 98 lbs. weakling who takes his girl to the beach. Well, I didn't have a girl at that age, and didn't have a way to the beach and I hadn't weighed 98 lbs since I was six or so. And not having a job in Houston like I had in Kingsville, I didn't have the money to buy his rather expensive program. Until I met a new friend, who had the program and gifted it to me. I took the program home and read it and talked with my new friend and learned how to tear a Houston phone book (yes, it was thinner in those days), and bend metal and the like. My friend was also a devout Christian and so our discussions were ultimately on the strength we could find in the Lord. I sought also to get good grades because I knew I had to go to college, not sure of what was to be my calling; but I knew God would provide that soon enough, and He did. And it was then I began to sense God's call upon my life for ordained ministry. Since then, I have sought other needed things, but none quite so fulfilling or satisfying as serving our God.

The ancients, some named in the passage, knew that as well. They lived lives that are testimonies even today of what God can and does do for us. As they sought the Lord, they learned their purpose and meaning for their lives and did the best they could for the Lord; always striving, always attentive to God's voice and leading. I invite us to prayerfully seek the Lord, not matter what age we find ourselves; God always has something that still needs to be done! Seek Him. Serve Him. Praise Him!

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, as we seek You, we thank You for all You have done for us. We are people of gratitude, and we rejoice in Your presence and power in our lives. Lord, You know our needs and we turn them over to You that You be glorified in all things. We pray for the protection and wellbeing of those in the hurricane's path; Father, if it be Your will that it diminish in strength and hit only those areas where no lives are affected. We pray for those awaiting medical procedures and treatments; for those undergoing chemo therapy that they be healed, and for those worried and anxious about so many things, that they might find rest in You; and this we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Seek to be the calm and peace in someone's life today as you seek the Lord!

Receive my blessings of joy and gratitude for you and yours.

Pastor Eradio Valverde