Monday, August 15, 2022

Healing Amidst Griping!

L\

Image from margmowczko.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3QpOlIS

10 On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, 11 and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. 12 When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, “Woman, you are set free from your infirmity.” 13 Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God. 14 Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue leader said to the people, “There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath.” 15 The Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16 Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?” 17 When he said this, all his opponents were humiliated, but the people were delighted with all the wonderful things he was doing. (Luke 13:10-17 NIV Bible)

During my life I've had a series of self-prayers. You might have as well. I love and respect mjy father and miss him tremendously, and I thank God for him, but there was a time when I prayed, as a rebellious teen, "Lord, don't let me become my father!" Okay, I may be the only one. Some of you ladies might have had a similar prayer about becoming your mom; but I'm not asking for a show of hands. Later, I would pray as well as lecture myself, "Never say to your children, 'This isn't music!'" Okay, I'll admit that I have said that numerous times, much to the dismay and grimaces of my darling daughters. Yes, I heard that from my Dad about my choice of music (and we're talking Beatles!). And I prayed that I would be wise enough to recognize when I was being an obstacle to God's work in our midst. I prayed that I might be open to new things and new ways of doing ministry, and to love all people. As a pastor, several church members added to my praying, "Let me not ever be that person!" And, as a pastor in some years where I was not pastoring a church, I tried to be the most supportive, understanding, encouraging pastor that I could. And here we find, the Lord of the Universe, the Prince of Peace, the Son of God, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, doing what He was sent to do, and He was loving all people right where He found them. And it was on their holy day of the Sabbath, that Jesus, as He's teaching in one of the synagogues that a woman enters, bent over "crippled by a spirit for eighteen years." She could not straigthen up at all. Jesus notices her and calls her forward.

Let's pause for a moment to discuss worship attendance dynamics. It takes a lot to come to the front of a worship space for almost all people. I, as a pastor, tremble in fear, as I make my way to the front and more so when I speak the first words in any worship space. Years ago, when I was doing my internship, I threw up quite a bit before my first sermon for a grade in Mission. Thank God in the congregation that morning was a lovely woman who would be sentenced to life hearing my sermons for the rest of her life, and she says, even to this day, that she loved that first sermon and has been my most faithful and encouraging of my congregants. You may notice that most churches will almost always be packed at the rows closest to the entrance, and away from the front where the preaching and teaching takes place. And some people may worship in a church for years and not join because they fear making the walk down the center aisle to make their decision known. So, for Jesus to call this woman to the front was a courageous thing. This passage does not record any hesitancy on the part of the woman, but she may have realized that coming to the front of the church would mean her healing. For some people they would say the miracle was getting her to the front of the church!

"Woman," Jesus lovingly tells her, "You are set free from your infirmity." The words from the mouth of He Who was present at the creation of the world. He Who is the Son of God, Who called her forward, and who "put His hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God." Wow! A healing in a holy setting! And in a show of gratitude, she praises God right away, thanking God for her deliverance from this which held her captive for 18 years! You would think if this healing took place in your church, the place would explode with excitement. "What an incredible thing to witness, that dear sister who struggled to get anywhere, now free to walk upright and who has been healed! Hallelujah!" And most churches would have celebrated in a joyous way, praising God for His faithfulness in bringing healing to one in need. Yet.

(Insert your prayers here, i.e., "Lord, never let me be this person!"). The president of the synagogue steps forward and makes known his displeasure at what others are naturally thanking God for; "How dare this man do work on the Sabbath! Of the six days in which He could have healed this woman, He chose to defile the Sabbath by doing work!" If there had been mircophones in those days, this man would have run to the closest one and loudly voiced his objections to this good. To Jesus' credit, He does not hold back His disbelief and frustration at one who should have said, "Here in my church this has happened! Yes, sir, yes ma'am, right here in OUR church, we have a healing taking place, and you saw it for yourselves!" Jesus said, "You hypocrites! (There were more, not just the mic hogging guy) Doesn't each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?" BOOM! Ask a 17 year-old how long 18 years is to wait to do something... Ask this lady, who can now walk without pain or discomfort, how long 18 years really is. Well, that response from Jesus silenced the opponents, but delighted the people there who were amazed and blessed by this miracle.

God continues to do great things in our midst; we just have to be aware of them. More importantly, we must not be obstacles in God's way, and we must lead the praises of thanks when they happen!

PRAYER: Loving God, Great is Your faithfulness to us especially when we are in need. Grant to those in our church who need healing to receive theirs, and let us rejoice when it comes. Forgive us those times we have stood in Your way, and grant us to be those who bless Thy work; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Your Call to Action: Speak positively of what God can and has done for you!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace!

Pastor Eradio Valverde