Tuesday, August 30, 2022

One Letter. One Slave Owner.

Image from agnusday.org

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3R0hDy9

1 Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our dear friend and co-worker, 2 to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house: 3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 4 When I remember you in my prayers, I always thank my God 5 because I hear of your love for all the saints and your faith toward the Lord Jesus. 6 I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective when you perceive all the good that we may do for Christ. 7 I have indeed received much joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, my brother. 8 For this reason, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do your duty, 9 yet I would rather appeal to you on the basis of love—and I, Paul, do this as an old man, and now also as a prisoner of Christ Jesus. 10 I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment. 11 Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you and to me. 12 I am sending him, that is, my own heart, back to you. 13 I wanted to keep him with me, so that he might be of service to me in your place during my imprisonment for the gospel; 14 but I preferred to do nothing without your consent, in order that your good deed might be voluntary and not something forced. 15 Perhaps this is the reason he was separated from you for a while, so that you might have him back forever, 16 no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a beloved brother—especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. 17 So if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. 18 If he has wronged you in any way, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. 19 I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand: I will repay it. I say nothing about your owing me even your own self. 20 Yes, brother, let me have this benefit from you in the Lord! Refresh my heart in Christ. 21 Confident of your obedience, I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. (Philemon 1-21 New Revised Standard Version Bible)

Friends, be blessed today and enjoy the fullness of life. As we pray, let us pray for the family of Mr. Jaime Mariscal, who passed away today because of cancer. I've known Jaime since he was a child because his father was my pastor when I felt the call into ordained ministry in Houston. I know Rev. Arturo and his wife, Raquel, are devastated by the loss of their oldest son. May God's comfort be with this special family. Prayers for younger brother Jorge, and sister Loli. Earlier this evening I received word that The Rev. Delia Estrada died in Corpus Christi, TX, after a long battle with Dementia. Our prayers for her family as they mourn the loss of this delightful woman of God. I was blessed to be her friend, and to enjoy her wit and ministry for many years.

The first time Nellie, Caitlin, and I worshiped at Wesley's Chapel in London, we were given a tour of the church and of his home. The one thing that just made us gape in wonder was that the baptismal font in that chapel was made from the front steps of a plantation home owned by a man who while worshiping there heard a convicting word from The Rev. John Wesley and repented of his horrible sin of owning human beings as his personal property. He sailed home and set his slaves free, hiring them instead as his employees. As a gesture of his new life, he sent the first step of his home, with a bowl scooped in it, to Mr. Wesley, to serve as the baptismal font. It was truly as a gesture of "If my sins can be washed away by this sacrament by Jesus, so can yours!" This same font has been used for many years, and even the children of Margaret Thatcher, former Prime Minister of England, were baptized there, using that font. The current altar railings were donated by the Thatchers. I would recommend, if you can find a copy of it, to watch the movie, Amazing Grace, which takes place around the same time as that conversion in London.

Today's passage is the (almost) entire letter from Paul to a man named Philemon. The verses omitted include one where Paul says for Philemon to prepare the guest room for him. As most letters from the Apostle, they are reminded that he is praying for them, and thanking God for them. He stresses that he knows them for their love, which is a key setup for what he is asking in this letter. He stresses that their love has encouraged him, as well as brought joy to him. Though he knows that through his position he could order this, as their "duty," he refrains from that and instead appeals to Philemon to receive back his runaway slave, Onesimus.

Recent stories from south of us have revealed there was a southern route of the Underground Railroad of slaves, that led them to freedom in Mexico that did not allow slavery. And this through a small United Methodist chapel that still stands, El Capote UMC, near the border, though the border wall has limited access to it. This chapel was founded by freed slaves named the Jackson Family. It is interesting to note that Paul is recommending Onesimus to go back, as the rightful thing to do, but wants for Philemon to receive him, not as a slave but as a "beloved brother." Paul begs him to receive him back and if he is owed anything, he, Paul, would pay it. And to top this powerful letter off, Paul wrote this letter himself! And he reminds Philemon of all he owes him, asking this be done to "Refresh my heart in Christ," and he knows of Philemon's obedience. And he ends this part of the passage with, "I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say." Boom.

What would you do? What did happen? Simple answer, when we get to Heaven we will know the complete answer. Interesting to read the theories out there. The truth is that this is a story of forgiveness. And Paul knows that Philemon, in having found Christ, found his forgiveness from Jesus, should be willing to forgive Onesimus for his running away, and even, as some scholars believe, for his having stolen some money from Philemon. If we continue to stress the theme from yesterday's passage, did Onesimus count the cost before doing what he did? More importantly, did Philemon realize the cost of Jesus' death for his sinfulness, and what was he going to do about it? Again, what are we doing to show that we love Jesus more than we love ourselves?

PRAYER: Awesome, loving Father, as we pray about where we find ourselves, help us to see what we need to be doing to bless others with awareness of You. Help us to forgive others because You have forgiven us; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Let your love runaway today in loving others!

Receive my love and blessings of peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde