Monday, September 05, 2022

Baa, We're Lambs!

Image from steadfastlutherans.org

Hear the devotional here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/Baa--Were-Lambs-e1ncsdk

1 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.” 3 Then Jesus told them this parable: 4 “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. 8 “Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9 And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ 10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” (Luke 15:1-10 New International Version)

There's a Christian parody group called The Apologetix who used to take populars songs and make them Christian, and one of my favorite was one called Baa, We're Lambs, based on the song by The Beach Boys, Barbara Ann. Here are the lyrics and below I will put a link to the video.

Baa Baa Baa Baa Baa we're lambs Baa Baa Baa Baa Baa Baa I'm a lamb -- in God's hand -- I'm a lamb He's got a flock of lambs who know Him Robbers cannot steal 'em from His hand Baa Baa Baa Baa we're lambs Went through the fence, lookin' for some friends God saw me scram so He brought me back again Cause I'm a lamb in God's hand You got to follow where He's goin' God'll take you in the Promised Land CHORUS Tried many moves -- Tried getting loose Tried petting zoos but I knew they wouldn't do Cause I'm a lamb in God's hand You got to follow where He's goin' God'll take you in the Promised Land Baa Baa Baa Baa we're lambs CHORUS Baa! We're lambs, Baa! We're lambs, Baa! We're lambs ...

My favorite lines are: "Went through the fence, lookin' for some friends, God saw me scram so He brought me back again, Cause I'm a lamb in God's hand." This story that Jesus told was about me. And yes, it was about you, too. And it was for the tax collectors, sinners, and yes, Pharisees and teachers of the law. (Yes, God cares that much for the good and the bad, and even the very bad!). First, Jesus tells the tale of a rancher with 100 sheep, who had one who did scram, and that sets in motion this rescue effort on the part of the rancher. Some have said that in West Texas, such an operation might involve aircraft to fly over every possible inch to find the lost sheep. Some ranches might involve the use of donkeys. But in Jesus' story, it involved one shepherd walking every place he could to find this lost lamb. Jesus called it "open country" (v. 4). And this shepherd did not give up until he found the lost sheep. I'm only speculating but a radio report from a helicopter that the pilot had spotted the lost lamb might bring joy to the rancher, as might the eventual report back form the foreman on the donkey, but to walk to the spot where the lamb was, to speak to it, hold it and lift it up and embrace it, speaks volumes of God's love. The response of the shepherd is to tell the world! He goes forth, holding the lamb on his shoulders and then calls all his friends and neighbors and says, "Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep." The awesome thing is what Jesus adds, "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven oer one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous person who do not need to repent." Awesome! The actions of a single person to repent of his or her sin causes a party to erupt in heaven!

Jesus then shifts the story to a woman who has ten silver coins and loses one. To those in His aduiences there was an immediate connection. Who has never lost anything, especially something precious and valuable? And for a single woman to lose one silver coin, she was losing a major source of income, and might even endanger her future. So, Jesus says, she lights a lamp, sweeps the house, and searches very carefully until she finds it. When I was in seminary in Denver, this Texas boy took advantage of snow activities, including snowball fights. I confess I should have been using gloves, but one Sunday after church I was with a classmate and his family and we were in his front yard throwing snowballs and with laser percision I threw one that accidentally included my university senior ring! It's a precious treasure for me. My Dad and Mom bought it for me when I finished my university education at Southwestern. I was lost without it. I went and immediately swept the entire yard. Nada. My friend went and rented a metal detector and again, nothing. This, after, of course, a thorough sweeping of each area it could have landed with my bare hands. Nothing. I would have to face life without my senior ring. I don't remember how long I was without my ring, but in spring, one day in class, my friend walked up to me and said, "Hold out your hand," and dropped down the ring into my hand! I was elated and I celebrated and I called my parents to let them know that was lost was now found. And in God's world, that's always a reason to celebrate! Jesus explains that the repentance of a sinner causes the angels to rejoice, in the presence of God, over any sinner who repents of their sin.

Jesus wants everyone to repent of their sin and to come home to God. Jesus loves parties and celebrations, and our willingness to repent over that which causes death, and to come into the presence of the abundance of life, is a party-starter. Ours is to get the party started in our lives. Let's party!

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, help us to truly take serious the need to repent of our sins and help us to get others to see how wonderful life is when we come to the Lord. We trust in You and pray in faith in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Start as many parties of sin repentance as you can!

Receive my blessings of love and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde

Link for Baa We're Lambs video: https://youtu.be/vChV4LxZPDQ