Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Image from biblia.com

Hear the devotional here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/I-Know-the-One-e1ofsab

1 From Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by God's will, to promote the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus. 2 To Timothy, my dear child. Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3 I'm grateful to God, whom I serve with a good conscience as my ancestors did. I constantly remember you in my prayers day and night. 4 When I remember your tears, I long to see you so that I can be filled with happiness. 5 I'm reminded of your authentic faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice. I'm sure that this faith is also inside you. 6 Because of this, I'm reminding you to revive God's gift that is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 God didn't give us a spirit that is timid but one that is powerful, loving, and self-controlled. 8 So don't be ashamed of the testimony about the Lord or of me, his prisoner. Instead, share the suffering for the good news, depending on God's power. 9 God is the one who saved and called us with a holy calling. This wasn't based on what we have done, but it was based on his own purpose and grace that he gave us in Christ Jesus before time began.10 Now his grace is revealed through the appearance of our savior, Christ Jesus. He destroyed death and brought life and immortality into clear focus through the good news.11 I was appointed a messenger, apostle, and teacher of this good news. 12 This is also why I'm suffering the way I do, but I'm not ashamed. I know the one in whom I've placed my trust. I'm convinced that God is powerful enough to protect what he has placed in my trust until that day. 13 Hold on to the pattern of sound teaching that you heard from me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 Protect this good thing that has been placed in your trust through the Holy Spirit who lives in us. (2 Timothy 1:1-14 Common English Bible)

Six degrees of separation is the idea that all people are six or fewer socail connections away from each other. As a result, a chain of "friend of a friend," statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It is also known as the six handshake rule. I was blown away back in the early 2000s when I sat at a fireside chat required of new Rotary Club members. The presenter was a gentleman then in his 80s and he spoke of the day at his club, The Manhattan Rotary Club, when as was their tradition, he sat at the Birthday Table where all birthday celebrants of that week sat. Being an alphabetic seating arrangement, he sat between Mr. J. C. Penney, and The Rev. Dr. Norman Vincent Peale. Yes, you read that right. He was speechless and said the two were long-friends and his being a new Rotarian, they spoke to him about service beyond self and how important it was for him to put that into practice. They then told him that the coming Friday at a certain hour, he was to meet them at a certain corner in Harlem. He remembered it wasn't a request as these two were giants in their respective fields and were not used to be told no. He met them on that day and they were there waiting for him. It was their years long practice to take young men from Harlem to the movies, using the walk as a time to get to know them and talk to them about life. I could not believed that I had just met, in person, a man who knew both J. C. Penney and Norman Vincent Peale.

The Apostle Paul is telling Timothy, his "son" in the faith about what he, Paul, knew and shared with them about life and this new faith for him, Timothy. Tim was blessed to be a Christian along with his mother and grandmother, both of whom Paul knew and names them, Eunice and Lois. And Paul encourages the young man to "revive God's gift that is in you," because Paul laid his hands on him to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. And you can sense the joy in his voice as he writes, "God didn't give us a spirit that is timid but one that is powerful, loving, and self-controlled." Paul urges Tim and us to follow that truth. The world does not need timid Christians when it comes to showing love in action. And getting back to the six degrees, Paul shares how he knows the One "in Whom I've placed my trust. I'm convinced that God is powerful enough to protect what He has placed in my trust until that day."

Since the day of our salvation (When we entered into a relatiohship with God through Jesus), God has blessed us with "a holy calling." What that is may not have been immediately revealed, but we may have learned as we went along. I accepted Jesus when I was eight years old, and I had no clue of my eventual call into ordained ministry, but it became evident daily that my calling was to love and trust God as much as I could each day; to mature into a better son to my parents, sibling to my siblings, student to my teachers, friend to my friends, and to seek to learn as much as I could to share as much as I could to others. As a child in elementary school a younger student severely injured his lip and was bleeding profusely and I ran and did what I could to comfort him as he cried, and yelled at the teacher on playground duty to come and assist. The only way I can explain the calm and desire to help was the peace and calm the Lord provided to me. Later, my journey led me to hear God calling me into ministry, and oh how I fought that! Yet, when I surrendered I felt the same peace and calm, and God has blessed and provided for me. Now in retirement I still feel that peace and calm, knowing that I still yearn to see more come to know what I have known, the peace and love that God has for us through Jesus Christ. Dear one, may you discover daily what it is that God has asked of you. It may be a bedside prayer ministry there at your bed, before sleep, to lift up other in prayer. You will not know the impact that ministry is having until God places your crown on your head; for now, discover the peace and calm that comes when others may be shrieking and shouting. Who knows, you may be called, like Paul, to be a messenger, apostle, and teacher of this good news." And God will equip you and send you to where you need to be, and grant to you the words you need to share. And, if that does bring suffering, you will not be ashamed, nor will you be defeated; just do, as Paul says, hold on to what you have learned and be blessed with. God has entrusted us all with awesome things through His Holy Spirit, and we will bless others if we seek to be faithful and fruitful.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You. Bless us with this blessings so that we can bless others; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: You know the One, the same One as Paul, so share Him!

Receive my blessings of peace, and joy,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.

PRAYER UPDATE: I received word from The Rev. George Barcus that his wife, Linda, has clear cell carcinoma, stage 1c, which means she gets to go through chemotherapy of 6 sessions every 3 weeks once inusrance approves. Let us pray that through this treatment and God's Divine touch, Linda be made free of this disease. In Jesus' name, amen!