Monday, January 09, 2023

Jesus is the One!

Image from agnusday.org

Hear the devotional: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/Jesus-is-the-One-e1t897s

View on https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7186494307183136046?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&lang=en

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33 And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One.” 35 The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. 36 When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!” 37 When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. 38 Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?”They said, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?” 39 “Come,” he replied, “and you will see.”So they went and saw where he was staying, and they spent that day with him. It was about four in the afternoon. 40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. 41 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter ). (John 1:29-42 New International Version Bible)

Good day, dear Friend, may God's rich blessings be yours today and all days. I thank you for your faithfulness in praying for all who ask prayers of us! I got an update on Hector Cruz from his wife who said the infection is not only on his stitches but in his stomach as well, so a few days in the hospital will be necessary. Let us pray that God give Hector healing and strength, and that Terri would find peace and calm as she is at his bedside. May God bless you and your needs. Pray for one another. Pray for the needs of the world.

Some years ago, in Leon Springs, Texas, at one of the first Rudy's BBQ restaurants, we were in the line awaiting to place our order, and I saw a woman, who to this day, I believed to be Sandra Bullock. She was alone and awaited her order. She smiled at us and in typical Dad-fashion, whispered to the family, "That's Sandra Bullock!" The chorus from my daughters was, "No it's not," followed by, "It can't be!" And resolved to go and ask. "No, DAD!" And to this day, I am sure, in my heart, that I saw, in person, one of our greatest actresses and one of my favorite. She does, or did, own a home in Austin and filmed Miss Congeniality in San Antonio, and she is a big fan of Texas BBQ.

We don't have that problem with Jesus. Jesus is the One and only. John knew Him, of course, because they were related, but also knew Him to be the One, the long-awaited one, because of the Holy Spirit at Jesus' baptism. John knew his own purpose, but he also knew THE purpose of Jesus. "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" Jesus is the sacrificial Lamb of God, Whose life He was willing to give for our behalf. And it was John's proclamation that gave two of his own disciples the strength to leave John's ministry to join Jesus, for they knew in their heart, again thanks to the Holy Spirit, that Jesus was the Messiah. And, as happens in the Bible, one of the two who joined Jesus, and who asked his brother to come and meet Jesus, had his name changed. Simon becamse Cephas, meaning Rock but pronounced Peter.

Jesus is still the One on Whom we can rely and in Whom we place our faith. Jesus is not only the reason for the Season, but the reason for the existence of the Church. The Church is the rock on which we build our faith and in which we can use to reach those who have not yet met Him. That is the job of the Church, and you and me are the Church. Christ is counting on us to do His will. That last sentence reminded me of one of the most powerful retreats I have ever attended, or been a part of. It was a 72 hour retreat filled with unxpected surprises and blessings and at its close, men who had become dear brothers, presented me with a nice cross with the words, "Christ is counting on you," spoken to me and written on the cross. Our response on receiving that cross was to say, "And I am counting on Christ."

PRAYER: Loving Lord, I, and the person reading this prayer, are counting on You as we know You are counting on us. There's a world-wide need to trust You and to come to You, and with Your guidance and peace, we will be faithful and fruitful. Guide us and bless us; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Count on Christ in a way that helps others count on Him, too!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.