Monday, January 16, 2023

Jesus Knew

Image from mjdasma.com

Hear the devotional: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/Jesus-Knew-e1thn0q

Hear here: https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7189088024012066091?lang=en

12 When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he withdrew to Galilee. 13 Leaving Nazareth, he went and lived in Capernaum, which was by the lake in the area of Zebulun and Naphtali— 14 to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah: 15 “Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, the Way of the Sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles— 16 the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.” 17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” 18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him. 21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him. 23 Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people. (Matthew 4:12-23 New International Version of The Bible)

A most blessed and marvelous Mondays to you, dear Friend That is my prayer for you and yours. I pray that unexpected opportunities would present themselves to you to allow you to shine brightly for Jesus! My neighbor, Mr. Hector Cruz, is home, but still in serious pain. This Tuesday he goes to have the last of the drainage tubes removed, and we should pray that God bring comfort to him soon. Also, Mrs. Carmen Rodriguez, of Edinburg, TX., is still in pain from her bout with shingles. This has been a longer than usual period of pain and we pray that God would heal her soon! Please continue to pray for one another. May God be glorified in our lives.

The other night my bride asked me how long I would be doing ConCafes. That question, asked right as I was dozing off to sleep, was not one I expected. I could only say, "I don't know." It has kept me wondering. I guess I will know when it will become time to quit. I pray that this is what God would have me do in obedience to His leading. I say that because the passage for today has some already wondering why Jesus withdrew to Galilee."? This is a lectionary passage and where I find them always has pastors/preachers commenting their first thoughts under each passage. I usually choose not to even read them or if I do to get a better idea of what I need to be saying and praying about this passage. Today I noticed that many asked why would Jesus withdraw? I believe Jesus knew that this news of John the Baptist's arrest, was the sign to begin His ministry. He went to Capernaum, in fulfillment of prophecy, and to begin His preaching ministry, and He uses John's very sermon: "Repent, for the kingdom of Heaven has come near." Jesus then called His first disciples into ministry. He calls Simon and his brother, Andrew, as they were fishing. His call came as an invitation, "Come, follow me, and I will send you out to fish for people." Their response was immediate as they left everything and followed Jesus. Jesus then comes across James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, also preparing to fish, and He calls them; they too, leave everything to become disciples. Then Jesus begins his ministry of teaching, preaching and healing. Jesus healed every disease and sickness among the people.

Jesus knew that the time had come to start His ministry. You, too, more than likely, if you're connected to God, have known when to start, when to do, when to complete, and maybe, even leave or finish, or stop whatever you felt called to do. I have shared some of the most difficult questions that have been asked of me, or just asked, to which I did not immediately have an answer. The first related to ministry was when my theology professor asked, "We know that we are saved from sin, when we are saved; but where are we saved to?" The answer, to the new life, the abundant life, to the fullness of life. And when I sat at the Cabinet table and the bishop asked, "Does God ever call us out of ministry?" Whoa! I believe some of us around that table wondered if our time was near? ConCafe has been my way to stay connected, and active in ministry; while I may not be pastor of a church that comes with a building, I still see ConCafe as my church with my leadership role to continue to share, comfort, challenge, inspire, instruct all who would read or listen to, ConCafe.

My pastor just shared a key story about a mutual friend, Harold, who is still in active ministry. Matt asked him some years ago, how he managed to stay active and alive when ministry. Harold replied, "'Seek first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you,' And then I roll myself out of bed and onto my knees and dedicate myself again to God and ask if God would use me." I really identify with that motivation and I write in my daily planner as my first task each day, Glorify God. Second, I write, Pray and Listen, and lastly I have been writing, Seek to Serve. While that may not answer all the questions that I have or may face, but it keeps me going and doing. May we all discover what we need to keep going and doing.

PRAYER: Loving Father, glorify Yourself in us in ways that help us answer all questions and motivates us to keep going and doing; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Keep going and doing in ways that invite others to join you!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.