Thursday, April 27, 2023

Yes He Is!

Image from walmart.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/41JyV7W View the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3APdpD7

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want; 2 he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; 3 he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (Psalm 23 RSV)

The Rev. Dr. E. V. Hill was raised right here in Seguin, Texas. He went to college at a Methodist school and from there went to be the senior pastor of a large metropolitan church in Los Angeles, California. Okay, the church was Baptist. I should mention that E. V. was raised by a childless couple who knew the real situation of his biological family and some days EV didn't even eat. The family that took him in wasn't any richer, but they fed him well. They were also a family of faith and believed that the young man had potential and so his mother said he was going to college. And she said she had written to the president of that college and he was going there. She didn't know how or where the money would come from, but he had his marching orders from Mom. The day came and EV in his best suit stood in line behind many students who were dressed way better than him. They also had money as he noticed the closer they got to the table where they registered and paid their tuition in full. He gulped as he realized no one in his family had gone to college, and so he knew nothing about what was going to happen. All he knew was that he had no money. And college is not free. The tension rose the closer he got to the table. Two girls in front of him, then one. As she was counting off the money for her semester, EV thought he was going to faint. Then he felt a large hand on his shoulder. A boom voice asked, "Are you E. V. Hill?" EV replied he was. "Son, come with me! You're already registered and your schooling is paid for!" The mother had written to the president of this college and it was him who came to tell EV the good news. God provides. And that's the lifelong lesson EV learned that day which motivated his call into ministry and the long tenure of faithful service as pastor at his successful church that had a multifaceted service of missions to the poor and oppressed.

I sincerely believe those who know Jesus who know Him as shepherd, know this psalm as a foundational structure for a fruitful life and ministry. These six verses, 112 words; each one as powerful as the next. This week we studied New Testament passages that either were based on this psalm or they gave evidence of the reality that King David saw on that field as he wrote these words. His knowledge and love for God motivated the psalm that when most of us read it or hear it, feel like God is wrapping his arms around us and telling us that He is with us. It's the strong hand that fell on EV's shoulder. As God made a way for EV, God made a way for me, for Nellie, for our daughters, and God isn't finished yet. And God has surely hade a way for you, and for yours, and God isn't through yet. God not only provides, God provides the best and the most needed for those who ask and trust in Him.

Re-read the psalm and claim those words for your life. Hear the comfort, take the weapons of God, and live your best life in the face of those who would stand against you.

PRAYER: Thank You, God. We love you and we need you. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Be a faithful lamb of God.

Receive my blessings of love and peace,

Mother's Day is Coming Up! You can support this ministry by making a purchase through this link: https://amzn.to/3LbRs5Y.