Monday, May 01, 2023

Jesus' Promise of Life

Image from davidould.net

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/429dzAL. View the devotional: https://bit.ly/3Ld8ZdS

1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God ; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” 8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. (John 14:1-14 New International Version of The Bible)

Unexpected news don't always arrive at the right time, according to our opinion. One example that I have never forgotten was with our four daughters, who were accustomed, forced would be their word, to have a "birthday checkup" with their pediatrician, and they knew, and like their Dad, hated the reality of an injection. It was tough for Nellie and me, for we hated to hear them cry. Even today. But on this one birthday, the doctor asked, "Are all your girls here?" Yes. "Great! We just received a new vaccine and they all need to get it." Gulp. So, into the waiting room came the doctor and his nurse with the birthday "gift" they knew was not theirs that day. "But, it's not my brithday!" cried one of them. We all cried.

This passage comes right after Jesus tells the Twelve that He was going to Jerusalem to suffer and die. The news was not received well. No one. I repeat, no one likes to hear that someone they love is dying. Not even men who had spent almost three years with an incredible man with wonder working power that included raising people from the dead. So, Jesus uses this time to share with them and with us these incredible words. The words He shares are about the place to which He will go once He is dead. And though they were told to not have their hearts troubled, they were very troubled. Jesus says that His Father's house had many room, meaning space enough for those who believe, and Jesus adds, He was going to further prepare the place so that we may also be with Him in that place. So, Jesus is saying, there will be no separation, He would come back and take them to be with Him. As He will for us. It had to be Thomas who very honestly says, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Their minds knew that in those days to get to a place or from place to place, one had to know the way. Think no GPS, no maps, no one having gone there before and coming back to explain the way.

Jesus shares a powerful truth that even today, not every one will believe, even today, but here is what Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life." Bam! Three things in one. Way. Truth. Life. Later during His trial, Pilate will ask Jesus, "What is truth?" But, Jesus says He is the way, the truth, and the life. Jesus, if we follow Him, provides the way out of sin, into the life in abundance and towards life eternal. And if you don't know Jesus like that yet, please invite Him into your life!

Jesus said He is truth. There is no deceit or anything fake about Jesus and Who He is, Who He represents, and where He is from. To know truth, we must know Jesus. Jesus' messages and teaching are all geared to teach us the truth. Jesus is about love and life in the fullest. His teachings emphasize the importance and centrality of love in our lives. Jesus stressed the need to love God, love one another, and ourselves as the most important commandment.

Life. Jesus was all about life, which is why God sent Him. His purpose was to save the world. The world, without Jesus, makes a trajectory towards death, and we discover, it is eternal death. John 3:16-17 is about God's love for the world in trying to save the world so that they would not lose life (which is what perish means). He brought us the truth about eternal life. And after revealed to the disciples that He was to die, He speaks about the place, where there is lots of space, and where He would be there with them. When Philips asks about being shown the Father. Jesus says that He and the Father are One, and belief in Him will be able to do the works He has been doing, and even greater things, because Jesus was going to the Father. And the promise from Him: "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

Even in the face of death, Jesus reigns. Even in the face of hopelessness, Jesus offers hope. Even when facing the end of life, Jesus offers life. Jesus is the way the truth and the life. And it's all for us because of His love for us.

PRAYER: God of life, hope, and truth; may we all truly find in Jesus the way the truth and the life that we so desperately need;in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Live a life that shows Jesus in you!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.

Mother's Day is Coming Up! You can support this ministry by making a purchase through this link: https://amzn.to/3LbRs5Y.