Thursday, May 11, 2023

Road Tested and Out of the Ditch!

Image from danesblog.wordpress.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/42Ncbnt.

View here: https://bit.ly/3VQRHIs

8 Bless our God, O peoples! Give him a thunderous welcome! 9 Didn't he set us on the road to life? Didn't he keep us out of the ditch? 10 He trained us first, passed us like silver through refining fires, 11 Brought us into hardscrabble country, pushed us to our very limit, 12 Road-tested us inside and out, took us to hell and back; Finally he brought us to this well-watered place. 13 I'm bringing my prizes and presents to your house. I'm doing what I said I'd do, 14 What I solemnly swore I'd do that day when I was in so much trouble: 15 The choicest cuts of meat for the sacrificial meal; Even the fragrance of roasted lamb is like a meal! Or make it an ox garnished with goat meat! 16 All believers, come here and listen, let me tell you what God did for me. 17 I called out to him with my mouth, my tongue shaped the sounds of music. 18 If I had been cozy with evil, the Lord would never have listened. 19 But he most surely did listen, he came on the double when he heard my prayer. 20 Blessed be God: he didn't turn a deaf ear, he stayed with me, loyal in his love. (Psalm 66:6-20 The Message Bible)

I had a church member who would always tell me as I left his company, "Keep it between the ditches!" Good advice, no? I remember learning to drive and that was the challenge in them olden days! Here, the psalmist is urging us to being our day by being thankful to God, even blessing God in a wonderful, loud way, for it was God who set us on the road to life. And here, in a modern version, the psalmist says, "Didn't He keep us out of the ditch?" Yes, indeed! Driving into a ditch is no fun! The psalmist says, "God trained us first, passed us like silver through refining fires, Brouht us into hardscrabble country, pushed us to our very lmit, Road-tested us inside and out, took us to hell and back; Finally He brought us to this well-watered place." And then the praising and worship begins: We are to offer that which means something to us to Him who is God. We keep our vows and promises, as God intended. And we offer up sacrifices to Him, though it sounds like a barbecue, but that was part of the ancient worship, offering up the "choicest cuts of meat, or the fragrance of a roasted lamb."

The invitation is for all who believe in God to gather, listen, and share all that God has dnoe for you. This psalm reminds us of God's faithfulness, even in the midst of trials and hardships. It calls us to come before Him with a heart of worship and thanksgiving, offering up our praises and our lives as a sacrifice to Him. May this passage inspire us to walk in obedience and devotion to God, trusting in His goodness and grace each day. Come on dear ones, let's do what God has called upon us to serve Him with faithfulness and joy!

PRAYER: Awesome God, make us sweet fragrances for all, about Your love and care. Help us win the world for you; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Praise God in outrageous, but thankful ways.

Receive my blessings of joy and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.