Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Servant for Christ

Image from sermons.logos.com

View the devotional: https://bit.ly/3SAfYm4

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3SlS8sO

16 For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. 19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:16-23 ESV)

May the Lord bless you, dear Friend, and keep you. May our devotional time bring us rich and wonderful blessings. Please continue to pray for one another, especially those who asked prayers from us.

The Apostle Paul was a man on a mission. On a mission from God. Okay, that's a movie reference. If you know from which movie, comment below! His call was a face-to-face encounter with Jesus and Paul knew he would have no time to mess around, turn Him down, or delay. He felt an urgency to preach and to preach every chance that he had. And the more he preached, the more he felt the need to still preach. And he remained as humble as he knew how to explain his mission and his love. The first verse, verse 16 explains it, "For if I preach the gospel, that give me no ground for boasting." He says he is not doing it to brag about how good, or how great he is. He says it is "Necessity is laid upon me." The original need is still there and he must respond, and he says, "Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!"

Paul knew the urgency as well as the reward that awaited him, and so on he pressed, for the reward of preaching and sharing the good news of Jesus was reward enough, more so if people came to God's saving truth; saying that he was willing to be "a servant to all, that I might win more of them (new believers)." To the Jews, Paul shares his heritage as a Jew in order to win them for Jesus. To those who are under the law, he became as one of them, so they could be free from the law and become those who now can follow Christ. The same for those outside the law, and those who are weak; doing all things to save those who are perishing. "And all the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings." The late Rev. Dr. Fred Craddock, a noted professor of preaching at Emory University, and author of a book of sermons from the church he served in later years, wrote that after a few years of pastoring this church, he went away to the university and was called back to officiate the funeral of one of the ladies of that church, who came to church with a daughter that never seemed to pay attention and who seemed to wander all over the church while he preached, After the funeral he went to see if he could minister to her and she said she was okay because of something he had once said during one of his sermons; "It all made sense then and that's what kept me going even with this death." So one never knows, but Paul knew. We should know, too, that while we may not see immediate results, we never know what may have clicked inside someone.

The Apostle shows us that we, as we become believers and followers of Jesus, we must completely and totally embrace the call. To be called into faith means that we are aware and are willing to accept the responsibility and privilege to share the Good News, not out of compulsion, but out of a burning love for Jesus.

Like Paul, we must seek to break down walls, stepping outside our comfort zone, seeking to understand and connect with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, so they may connect soon with Jesus. We are also called to love without limits. Our approach should be to meet the needs of others while we demonstrate the love of God in practical and meaningful ways.

At the end of each day we should reflect on how fixed we kept our eyes on the eternal prize, finding strength and motivation in the knowledge that our commitment to Jesus matters for all eternity.

PRAYER: Loving God, ignite within us the passion to run the race of faith with unwavering determination. Grant us the courage to break down walls, the wisdom to love without limits, and the unwavering focus on the prize that awaits us – the joy of knowing you and living for your glory. Help us win the world for Jesus Christ; for in His name we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Run with open arms, embracing the call to love, the challenge to serve, and the promise of victory that awaits all who stay the course in the marathon of faith.

I love you and thank God for you,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.