Monday, January 08, 2024

What is Said About You?

Image from facebook.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3NWj9Sq

View here: https://bit.ly/3TX446Z

43 The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.” 44 Philip, like Andrew and Peter, was from the town of Bethsaida. 45 Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.” 46 “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” Nathanael asked. “Come and see,” said Philip. 47 When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit.” 48 “How do you know me?” Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.” 49 Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.” 50 Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.” 51 He then added, “Very truly I tell you, you will see ‘heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on’ the Son of Man.” (John 1:43-51 NIV Bible)

Dear Friend, welcome to Monday! May it be a marvelous Monday where you bless others with marvelous demonstrations of your love, compassion, understanding, and peace. May our time together in prayer, devotion, and openness to God bring us that which will bless us and help us bless others! PRAYER UPDATE: From The Rev. Bradley DeHaven of St. Luke's Methodist Church in Corpus Christi on The Rev. Olga Paull's condition: Just stopped in to see Olga Paull. She is doing ok. Thus far, all the tests have ruled out a stroke (incuding the second one today). They're still going to run more tests, but whatever it is, it wasn't a stroke, nor heart-related at this point. She is alert, speaking, and able to communicate clearly. I'll share more tomorrow when we gather, but prayer is still very much warranted.

In 1988 I made a difficult decision. I was asked to consider accepting a church in another annual conference of The United Methodist Church. This is a very long story, and I won't bore you with it, but suffice it to say I said yes I would consider it. This came after much prayer and discussion with my wife. We knew the change would not be easy, but we knew that God would go with us. At the annual conference session in Corpus Christi where I was introduced as a new member I will never forget the words used by Bishop Ray Owen about me. I was humbled by what he said and it made me pray all the harder for the words to be truly true! Which brings me to the question that I used as the title of this devotional: What is said about you?

As Jesus is in the process of calling His disciples, He was in Bethany about to leave for Galilee when Jesus sees a man named Philip, whom He called to follow Him. Philip was from Bethsaida, like Andrew and Peter, and after having said yes to the Lord, goes to find his brother Nathanael and tells him the good news, "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote - Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." Philip knew he had been called by the Messiah to be a part of His team, and so in excitement goes to his brother to share this wonderful news. What is Nate's first response, "Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?" Now, I could, and probably should, insert any number of towns that might make this statement seem a bit more understandable, but boy would feelings be hurt! Let's suffice it to say Podunk, Texas, or Backwater Tide, Arkansas as examples. The perception is that a town such as Nazareth had not been known for having produced outstanding or "good" people. Now, was that a truthful statement or a fair statement? More than likely not; but we get the idea. Even Philip wasn't swayed by that statement for he says to his brother, "Come and see." Boom! So, the reluctant brother walks slowly, how else would a reluctant person walk? And before he can even say a thing, Jesus speaks and here's what He says, "Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit." Boom again! Please note that before he could get in a snide remark about Nazareth, he is told he is a man of no deceit. Tell me that Jesus didn't know him and still loved him! And darn it if that's not the way Jesus has treated me, and some of you? We were so ready to do this, and Jesus told us that! We were so ready to do this, and Jesus said do that! And that's what true discipleship is all about; giving in to God and letting God do with us what He needs. God knew Nate, God knows you and God knows me. And just as God used Nate and Phil, God can use you and me!

Jesus also told Nate that He had seen him before Phil came calling, standing under a fig tree; and this prompts Nate to make this incredible declaration; "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel." Nate came to faith with this brief encounter with Jesus, as should we always. Jesus countered Nate's statement with the truth, "You came to faith because of what I said about me seeing you under the fig tree, but you will see greater things than that." And Jesus adds, "Very truly I tell you, you will see 'heaven open, and the angles of God ascending and descending on' the Son of Man." Boom a third time.

When we said Yes to Jesus, Jesus made the same declaration to us, and true to His word, you and I have seen many unexpected, many unexplainable things, and some of us have even gone to places we never dreamed of going! And I mean that both geographically and relationally. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be asked to be a district superintendent, and more so in a conference that had not been my native one. And in the first months as one, I remember driving from San Antonio to Goliad with the bishop and his wife for a district laity event. The fine people of Goliad has rented the community center and it was packed with people as we drove up. On the way there the bishop and I had been talking about his experiences as a DS and now as a bishop and he had spoken of "then it hit me" moment, the realization that this indeed was real. I had that moment as I was being introduced by the bishop as the new DS of the district. I wept quietly, thankful that my wife was there to see and experience this with me, and I had the thought of my wishing my Mom were still alive so that she could at least hear me tell of it.

Our faith is an adventure with Jesus; it is a daily walk holding Jesus' hand as we go to places and people as only He could direct. May it be said of us that we loved and served Him faithfully.

PRAYER: Loving God, we are so thankful for Your love and presence. We are more thankful for Your being with us; help us be faithful and frutiful in this adventure. Help us win the world for You; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Enjoy the adventure so much that others will beg you to take them with you!

Receive my love for you as I thank God for you!

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.