Thursday, April 11, 2024

Peace in God's Presence

Image from bible.com

View the devotional on YouTube: https://bit.ly/3JeAFOQ

Listen to devotional: https://bit.ly/49zOFxr

1 Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer. 2 How long will you people turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods 3 Know that the LORD has set apart his faithful servant for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him. 4 Tremble and do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. 5 Offer the sacrifices of the righteous and trust in the LORD. 6 Many, LORD, are asking, “Who will bring us prosperity?” Let the light of your face shine on us. 7 Fill my heart with joy when their grain and new wine abound. 8 In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4 New International Version of The Bible)

Happy Thursday, dear Friend! Which part of the house holds the most comfort for you? Which part of the house is the one in which you feel more comfortable to cry or get angry? Which room finds you praying more?

I'll go first. My most comfortable room is the living room when Nellie and family are there. And the room in which I feel more comfortable in dealing with my feelings and thoughts is the bedroom. It is in here that most prayers get sent up. One wonders where David wrote or said his prayers? He was an adamant pray-er; trusting in God and hopeful in his petitions as we read in verse 1: "Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God." He had come to believe in God's faithfulness in his times of distress, as should we. David knew God to be the source of righteousness and justice, Who does hear his prayers and provides relief from his troubles. In the same way our times of anguish, we can appeal to God for God is compassionate and grants us mercy.

We see David shift from his prayer to contrast the fleeting pleasures of the world with the enduring peace found only in God. David admonishes those who chase after false gods and the success of the world, reminding them of the true source of blessing and prosperity, who is God Himself. David knows and encourages us to have trust in God's provision and rejoices in the abundant blessings that come from walking in obedience with God.

We come to the most famous of the verses of this psalm, verse 8, where David declares his full confidence in God's protection at the most vulnerable time of day, right before bed. It is usually at those moments that our brain can present to us a rapid recap of the highs and lows of the day, with the lows jumping more prominently to our attention, and it is then that we should turn that over to God. God is the source of peace, and no better word can accompany us into sleep.

As we reflect on Psalm 4, let us follow David's example of seeking refuge in God in times of trouble. Let us turn to Him in prayer, trusting in His righteousness and mercy to sustain us. May we examine our hearts, turning away from sin and placing our trust fully in the Lord. And may we experience the profound peace that comes from resting in God's presence, knowing that He alone can truly satisfy our souls.

PRAYER: Awesome Father, we thank you for Your faithfulness and mercy towards us. You alone are the source of power that lifts up beyond all challenges and obstacles. As we come before You in prayer, we ask for Your help in times of distress and uncertainty. Grant us relief from our troubles and fill our hearts with your peace that surpasses all understanding. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! HERE'S YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Spend intentional time in prayer, pouring out your heart to God and seeking His guidance and peace!

I love you and thank God for you,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr