Monday, April 15, 2024

El Buen Pastor/The Good Shepherd

Image from parsippanyumc.org

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/4aUPnGM

View the devotional: https://bit.ly/4ax91J6

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” (John 10:11-18 NIV Bible)

Dear Friend, a happiest of Mondays to you! May the peace of the Lord Jesus be with you and yours. As we pray today, let us keep the family of Mr. Jesau Ozuna Arévalo in your prayers. On Saturday we held a memorial service for him in the very welcoming and loving church, Smiley Methodist Church in Smiley, TX. The Rev. Tommy Myrick, pastor of SMC graciously allowed the family to hold the service there. It was a very emotional time for his family. Let us pray God's comfort be with all who loved him and who miss him. A very special thanks to Mr. Johnnie Fogle who is a good friend to the brother of Jesau and who did most of the legwork to get all things ready.

There is perhaps no other name for a church that touches my heart as much as El Buen Pastor. I was born into an EBP church in Kingsville and spent the first 13 years of my life there; then in our move to Houston we joined an El Buen Pastor church there. It didn't hurt that our previous pastor in Kingsville was now our pastor in Houston. This passage explains why the church fathers and mothers of those churches and many others chose such a special and powerful name for the congregation.

Of all the I-Am declarations made by Jesus in the gospel of John, this ranks up there as the most relatable to the time when Jesus lived. Everyone either had a shepherd in the family, had been a shepherd or knew someone who was. They knew the work of the shepherd and more importantly the love that real shepherds had for their flocks. In His declaration Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd," and defines what that means. The love of a shepherd for his/her flock is a special one; one where the shepherd knows his strength and his sheep's weaknesses. He or she is willing, because of that love, to die for his sheep. The hired hand, on the other hand, will not lay down his life because he does not own nor love the sheep. In fact, says Jesus, they run away. Jesus was hitting the religious leaders of His day; He loved the people and would die for the people; the Jews did not love the people and had, on many ocassions, ran to protect themselves.

"I am the good shepherd," Jesus says again; "I know my sheep (note His love) and my sheep know me -- just as the Father knows me and I know the Father -- and I lay down my life for my sheep." Jesus speaks of "other sheep" not of the same fold, indicating His love for all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, or background. His desire is for all to be brought into His fold, united under His loving care.

But Jesus's love is not just words; it is action. He proved His love by laying down His life for us on the cross, taking upon Himself the punishment for our sins. And not only did He die for us, but He also rose again, conquering death and giving us the assurance of eternal life.

PRAYER: Awesome God, we thank You for the gift of Your Son, Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd. Thank You for His sacrificial love, demonstrated by His death and resurrection. Help us to fully grasp the depth of His love for us and to respond with gratitude and obedience. Guide us each day as we seek to follow Him faithfully. In Jesus's name, we pray, Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Spend a moment or two reflecting on Jesus' love for you personally. Then pray your thanks to Him for this sacrificial love and ask Him to deepen your understanding of it. Then emphasize Jesus' love in your relationships with others.

I love you and thank God for you!

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.