Tuesday, January 10, 2006

ONLY SIX VERSES!


Good day dear friends.

We continue our study of The Truth About Being a Christian. Our text for Sunday was from John 10 where Jesus makes His declaration about being the good shepherd. And in keeping with that we have today's study guide:

Tuesday: Read the 23rd Psalm. Notice the faith the wrter places in God as his shepherd. Let each verse speak to you about how we should be trusting God more. Remember this psalm has shared quiet, strong faith in the lives of US Presidents, Generals, soldiers, sailors, doctors, nurses, teachers, workers, laborers, etc. How can this psalm come alive to you to speak to your life?

Here is this passage in both one of the oldest English versions, the King James, and one of the newest, The Message. And for educational fun, I also share it in the language in which I first learned it, Espanol, Reina Valera Version (Antiqua version)

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (King James Version)

1 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. 2 You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. 3 True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. 4 Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure. 5 You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing. 6 Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life. (The Message Version)

Salmo 23 1JEHOVA es mi pastor; nada me faltará. 2 En lugares de delicados pastos me hará yacer: Junto á aguas de reposo me pastoreará. 3 Confortará mi alma; Guiárame por sendas de justicia por amor de su nombre. 4 Aunque ande en valle de sombra de muerte, No temeré mal alguno; porque tú estarás conmigo: Tu vara y tu cayado me infundirán aliento. 5 Aderezarás mesa delante de mí, en presencia de mis angustiadores: Ungiste mi cabeza con aceite: mi copa está rebosando. 6 Ciertamente el bien y la misericordia me seguirán todos los días de mi vida: Y en la casa de Jehová moraré por largos días.

Countless have been the times this passage has been read at besides in hospitals, hospices, emergency rooms, homes, etc. in the hope that it would bring comfort and peace to those hearing it. I would say that in every one of those cases it has brought comfort and peace to every single person who read it or requested it. The 23rd Psalm has only six verses, yet it is very easy to mix up the verses or to forget a key verse when trying to remember it from memory. A dear friend and mentor in ministry lay dying from cancer in a hospital and he never lost his sense of humor and thankfulness to God. He joked with Nellie and I that earlier his family had gathered to pray with him and to close one of his daughters said, "Let's say the 23rd Psalm together in Spanish," and you know what he asked, "They couldn't remember it all in the right order and I just had to laugh and we all laughed." Tht moment of laughter accomplished the same thing: Life is more precious when we realize just Who is in charge and what God can do. From the first verse until the last, like the Lord's Prayer, it is a prayer of dependence on God. It is also an affirmation of faith:

In God we believe Who can supply all things.
It is God with Whom we walk through all places, both good and bad, yet not even in the worst of places should we be afraid for God is with us.
And we affirm that God has all power and strength to see us through even through the darkest of places and situations.
And when our journey here is over, we shall rejoice and celebrate, and I'll be happy at home with God. Amen.

What more could we ask?

PRAYER: God, I affirm You in my life today. Let my thoughts, words and actions reflect an alive faith. Let others ask about what makes me so confident and happy. And drive shyness and fear away as I say, "The Lord is my shepherd." Amen.

HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: Try memorizing the 23rd Psalm today. Only six verses.

Have a great and blessed day!

e.v.