Sunday, July 16, 2006

Interesting Times?

Today I shared with the 8:30 congregation what I had read in yesterday's Austin paper. The sports section caught my attention that the UT basketball coach had received a pay raise of half-a-millin dollars for his success last season, bringing his salary to $1.8 million a year. Nice paycheck for the type of work he does. In the same newspaper in the Metro section, there was a lead article on school teachers in the Leander school district that must now pay, from their own money, $60 a year if they wish to bring personal appliances for their use, such as coffee makers, micro fridges, microwaves, etc. The district claims the use of such items has affected their budget in that the district is paying some $100,000 a year. The teachers interviewed related how they cannot because of their hectic work schedules and physical ailments cannot make the walk to distant teacher lounges. In effect these teachers are being asked to take a $60 a year pay reduction.

Can we measure the lasting impact these teachers make on so many lives per day? Can we dare compare that to the lasting impact the UT basketball coach makes? Is it a fair comparison? Teachers are working with future coaches, teachers, doctors, lawyers, preachers, etc., as may the UT coach, but comparing the differences are the price tags in the same place?

Teachers usually do not have their own office. They do not have their own telephone to use. The issue of privacy and conveniences are not up for discussion. The teacher's classroom, usually occupied and certainly open the entire work day does not allow for privacy. The use of a computer comes when the teacher is not working on lesson plans, meeting with parents, talking one on one with students, etc.

Am I being biased? Yes. I am the husband to a now retired schoolteacher. I am the father of a daughter who is soon to be a schoolteacher. I'm so proud of them both and what they have and will offer to society. I wish the price tags were not different from university coaches. I know what I would pay in fairness.

Those are my thoughts.

e.v.