Wednesday, January 30, 2008

THE FUTURE


Good day dear friends.
Diana Wiley leaves today for Rwanda. I mentioned in yesterday's ConCafe that she was leaving yesterday. Please keep her in your prayers.
Our text for this day is Jeremiah 29:11 which reads: "For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope."
The current issue of Texas Monthly is on The Future. It is a black cover with a black and white photograph of Lance Armstrong. It is a bold move to come out with an entire issue of a magazine that tries to determine the future. What does the future hold? We've all asked that question at one time or another. And recently in two sermons I asked how many wanted to know the day of the death, and even the manner in which they would die. Only very few wanted to know the day of their death and even fewer the manner in which they would die. Most, like yours truly, would like to be surprised.
Why do we wonder/worry about the future? Can we be better prepared and would we be better prepared for it if we knew all the details? Some might, others would put off important details until the last minute. What does the future hold we ask? The Christian says, "I may not know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future."The hymn writer, Bill Gaither said it best, "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow."
So, go ahead Texas Monthly and others, predict away. We'll stay focused on He who will see us through all things. After all, the verse for today says it all. Why worry about our coming days when the greatest present for the present is Christ Jesus Himself.
PRAYER: Loving God of today and all days, help me in my faith to face today and all it brings. You hold the future and You know the plans You have for us. Forgive me the times I've planned it out so carefully without checking or trusting in You. I trust You and I know You love me. I pray in Jesus' Name, Amen.
Have a great and blessed day!
e.v.