Tuesday, December 30, 2008

H. PAUL ADAMS

Good day dear friends. I write to let you know that a dear friend
and former church member from Mission, TX, died early this morning.
H. Paul Adams was a living example of the power of God to transform
and reshape a person. From his own testimony Paul said the Lord
changed him into a more loving man, which I knew to be a fact.
Paul's wife, Mercedes was very active in our church singing in our
choir and other activities, but Paul never did follow her. I visited
Paul early in my ministry and made a fast friend. I will never
forget the night he called me after the death of his son, who had
died in New York and whose ashes were shipped to Paul without his
knowing such was going to happen. I went to his house and found Paul
weeping as he hugged a can similar to a paint can which held his
son's ashes. From that moment on I could count on Paul being in
every church function and activity. Paul also joined the choir and
sang solos in special Easter and Christmas Cantatas. Paul was gifted
with a great voice which he used to glorify God.

Paul was the first person from El Mesias who was convinced to attend
a Walk to Emmaus so that he could help us as we shaped the Walks in
Spanish. I drove Paul over to Cone Oasis and will always smile as I
remember that he was caught at the payphone calling his son-in-law
asking him to come and get him. Thank God Paul didn't pay attention
to the way I drove and that one of the lay directors caught him
trying to get out. Paul went as part of a ten-man team I took to San
Juan, Puerto Rico to help with Caminata #1, held in El Yunque Rain
Forest outside of San Juan. Sadly, Paul suffered a minor stroke upon
arrival to the island and was hospitalized during the entire time we
were there, checking himself out when he knew we were flying home.
The Lord working through the Walk helped in making Paul Adams who he
was.

Paul loved his family, taking great pride in all his children and
playing the typical husband when it came to his wife, but we all knew
that he loved and appreciated Meredes very much. Paul loved to cook
and loved to share his cooking with everyone. Numerous are those who
counted on Paul for several of his specialties from time to time. My
favorite was his Panamian menudo served over white rice with a side
dish of plantanos and cucumber slices. My daughters loved the soups
he made with hot dog slices. On occasions when I needed him, he was the girls' grandfather in picking them up when I was not able. Paul was a person I could count on.

Paul had a mischievous side but that only helped others love him. A
retired INS officer, he first came to the Valley from New York as one
of the first truly Spanish-speaking officers; his stories of those
early days made us all roar with laughter.

The funeral arrangements are pending, but what is not pending is our
missing him very much. Heaven is richer with Paul's entrance.

Rest in peace dear friend.

e.v.