Tuesday, April 07, 2009

TUESDAY OF HOLY WEEK


God of the universe, the earth, and all there is, this dear reader is yours. Bless and protect him or her. In Christ Jesus' Name, amen.

John 12:20-36 reads as follows:

20 Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. 21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus." 22 Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23 Jesus answered them, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor. 27 "Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say—"Father, save me from this hour'? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." 29 The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him." 30 Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." 33 He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die. 34 The crowd answered him, "We have heard from the law that the Messiah remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?" 35 Jesus said to them, "The light is with you for a little longer. Walk while you have the light, so that the darkness may not overtake you. If you walk in the darkness, you do not know where you are going. 36 While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of light."

The hour was drawing near. Jesus was aware of this, but still He presses on with God's work and message. Jesus realized too many people were living in darkness. They did not know love. They had not received it nor did they know how to share it. Jesus knew that you cannot share what you do not have. The sad thing was that God's love was readily available but no one was talking about it. The religious people of the day were more concerned about holding on to their power and traditions. To change now would mean a loss of both. What they were really saying was that people could go to the place of utter darkness just as long as they themselves stayed happy and content with how things were. So, Jesus' message was about light. Light pierces through the darkness. Today's online Upper Room devotional is cute, about a dad and three daughters, one of which was afraid of the dark. To fall asleep, the youngest, Carly, needed her dad's hand to hold. Once Carly's hand relaxed the dad knew she was asleep. God's presence even in the dark makes the night go faster and better. But God's presence shines a light of love and understanding, of comfort and security that nothing else can match.

One Friday night in Denver, a family that lived above a funeral home invited me to come over for a supper treat - fresh flour tortillas and a pot of beans. What a feast we had! After supper, they said they had bought a new ping pong table and would I stay to help set it up and play? Of course. We entered into a dark room where the light switch was on the other side of the room. The young son led me, but I kept bumping into things too dark to see what they were. Once the boy reached the light switch and turned it on, I discovered that what I was bumping into were coffins in the showroom! Where we were going was the back room where the new coffins were stored. The light made all the difference in the world. And though this happened way back in 1975, I will never forget that experience.

God offers light even today. And like today, there are so many who are still in darkness. It is up to you and me to take them the light of the world. Let someone know today how much God loves them and how readily available is this light for them.

PRAYER: Loving God of light, shine brightly in my life today. Let me smile, my words, my actions reflect that light. Let me be a vessel of light to those still in darkness. Empower me to serve you I ask in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde