Monday, December 28, 2009

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS


Loving God of families and individuals, pour out grace and peace on this dear reader in whatever challenges she or he may face today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

A day or so ago I heard the tailend of a Steven Curtis Chapman song that said, "All I want for Christmas is a family." Without knowing the full song or singer, it reminded me of what I heard after a recent memorial service we had here in our church. Someone said, "I don't know how anyone can survive in this world without a church family." Wow. If you think about it, this is our chance as a church to promote the love of Christ as can be shared only through a church family. As we hear about declining church membership numbers and the closing of churches, those who want their churches to "make it" and stay afloat need to think and pray seriously about evangelistic efforts that reach out with that idea: To join a church should be to enter into a relationship with God and God's family. God offers us love and forgiveness for all we've done and we should offer love, prayers, support and strength to each other as we face the challenges of life.

The comment about church family reminded me of how folks will begin sharing of calls, cards, food, visits and gifts to those who have either lost or gained a loved one. A church family will rejoice and be there if invited to baptisms, weddings, graduations, confirmations, special recognitions, etc. of daily life. How can we not share that with others? Would it be that difficult to share our church family experience by just saying, "You know, I come from a very special extended family that I call my church family. Would you believe what they did?" And God will take it from there, giving you the words to "evangelize" in Christ's name to the hurts and needs of the world. Of course you then put yourself in perhaps a new role: new family member and you have to do your part to do all that is needed for families during times of crisis and need.

The success of the "Come Home for Christmas" campaign of some churches is because of the number of folks who don't have a "home" to speak of, be it their own family or a place where they can feel at home. Remember, Christmas isn't over yet! Use this time to share your home with someone, your church home.

PRAYER: Loving God of Christmas and home, help me to understand my role in sharing my church family and church home with someone during this time of holiday spirit. As we wind down from the Christmas Day experiences and as we prepare for the New Year, help me to share words that may inspire someone to join me in worship and become a part of my church home. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde