Wednesday, December 16, 2009

GO! LIVE THE RELATIONSHIP LIFE THAT GOD INTENDED!


Lord God of all great things, make great the faith of this dear reader in the challenges he or she may be facing; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text today is from Galatians 6:11-18. With this we conclude our study of GO: Galatians! 11 See with what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand. 12 It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh that would compel you to be circumcised, and only in order that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 For even those who receive circumcision do not themselves keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may glory in your flesh. 14 But far be it from me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 Peace and mercy be upon all who walk by this rule, upon the Israel of God. 17 Henceforth let no man trouble me; for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brethren. Amen.

Ah, dear reader, enjoy the last days of the handwritten letters. I have to confess that I love getting letter or notes not having to do with business. And I have to confess that I just don't get that excited about letters that I have to forward on to others. If my scanner in my office worked I could scan the letter and add it as an attachment to the persons who need to have copies. They have to receive the email, open and download the attachment and then either store it on their computer or print out a hard copy. Just the language used above would have confused poor St. Paul! "Forward? Scanner? Attachment? Email? Download? Store? Computer? Well, you get the idea. Paul sent a handwritten letter to the Galatians. It is believed that most of the letters he wrote someone wrote for him. He dictated the letters and then signed them. (Gone are the days of Dictaphones!) But at the conclusion of this letter, which he may have personally handwritten or just closed it out with these words of today's text, we're not sure, but he does make a strong point of his being involved in their lives and souls.

His emphasis on the subject of circumcision would have in today's letters been underlined or stressed in bold face letters; he writes in big letters (Some of you dear readers, understand LARGE PRINT, no?). He wants them to know that he's excited and in person might have been close to, if not, actually, YELLING! Paul is saying, circumcision for spiritual reasons, is not necesary to be a Christian. Those folks stressing it to you just want to be able to say, "You should see what work we've been doing in the lives (and bodies) of those new believers! They're not just Christians, they're circumcised Jews!" Paul says that is just not needed. If you want to see what "works" have blessed you, just look to the body of our Lord, Jesus Christ. All His wounds and scars are there because of His great love for you. If anyone or anything died, Paul says, it was the attraction of the world to my life, and I myself have died to the world. He's talking about his new spiritual perspective on worldly things. He also says that he himself bore "the marks of Jesus" referring to the scars he received from stonings, beatings, and other persecutions because of his new faith. And we complain when the sermon goes too long or someone sits in our pew!

Paul's letter can be summed up by saying GO! Go and live like someone who belongs to Christ Jesus because we do! It's all about relationship with God and not religious observations held because of faith or tradition in God. May our lives show Whose we are in such amazing ways that they too will want to come and belong to God.

PRAYER: God, I've waited long enough. Today shall be the day when I finally get the courage to invite my coworker to my church. I will tell him or her about the upcoming Christmas Eve service and how attending those really make me feel at home. It may be that this person has wandered away from You long enough without a home and without knowing Your love. May You give me the words and the wisdom to share that which may just share eternal life with them. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde